Any thoughts on a small rv?

Winn
[subject]
Saturday, May 30, 2020, 18:03 (1427 days ago)

- No text -

you talking about a vehicle or a camping trailer?

gary reeder
[subject]
Saturday, May 30, 2020, 18:11 (1427 days ago) @ Winn

- No text -

Back in High School I had the foresight to

WB
[subject]
Saturday, May 30, 2020, 18:28 (1427 days ago) @ gary reeder

Buy me a 1963 Shasta 16’ travel trailer. Same age as me, paid my uncle $325 for it. That was a lot of money as a new Ruger SBH was about $200. It had a propane heater in it and stove/oven, sink, ice box (not refrigerator). It slept (4) using the overhead stretcher type bunks. My motive was a roving party pad. Some fun and I’ll spend youth was spent in it too! I finally painted it white with a red ZZ Top stripe down the side. I sold it for $625 to a couple following the county fair who wanted it to live in! Yee-haw!

I have a 30’ 1983 Avion bumper pull that is very well made and vintage. To buy one now I’d look for about a 20-24’ model I liked. Larger models are actually cheaper sometimes as their use is more limited. Especially bumper pull models.

I'm thinking one of those Mercedes mini vans

Winn
[subject]
Sunday, May 31, 2020, 11:48 (1426 days ago) @ gary reeder

- No text -

Sprinter RV

Joe Pollock
[subject]
Sunday, May 31, 2020, 14:34 (1426 days ago) @ Winn

The Sprinter is the way to go. I would not get a Mercedes it might be cheaper to get one of the other brands worked on. Dodge or Freightliner but that's just me. the sprinter is the body and they put there drivetrain in it. New they are $80k and up from there. They are like a boat big payments little use. You might find a great deal on a used one. Good luck I like them to.

Thanks, very good advice.

Winn
[subject]
Sunday, May 31, 2020, 16:02 (1426 days ago) @ Joe Pollock

- No text -

Sportsmobile

Howard
[subject]
Monday, June 01, 2020, 04:30 (1425 days ago) @ Joe Pollock

Years ago my in-laws got a Sprinter/Mercedes from Sportsmobile, they designed the interior themselves. Took it to Alaska. Sportsmobile have used RVs too.

All depends on how much you'd use it. If you use

ChrisG
[subject]
Saturday, May 30, 2020, 18:28 (1427 days ago) @ Winn

it a lot go for it. If you only use it a couple of times a year it would be more of a burden.

everybody on our street (except us) have at least 2 and

gary reeder
[subject]
Saturday, May 30, 2020, 22:33 (1427 days ago) @ Winn

usually 3. Trailers, 5th wheels. camper tops and all of the above. People out here are eat up with having "stuff". Gotta have it and most of them are sitting in their back yard never getting used. I would love to have one of the big houseboat type boats but we would never use it, so why? Anyway like someone below said, if you plan to use it 4 or 5 times a year then jump on it. If not you would be cheaper staying in a motel (the wife would probably like it more too).

Messing with an RV is a lot of work for me

WB
[subject]
Sunday, May 31, 2020, 10:11 (1426 days ago) @ gary reeder

Connecting, checking tires and all the accessories. The stress of towing and backing into a small camp space, then leveling it, connecting to power and maybe sewer. Worrying over the canopy if I leave it extended and the wind begins to blow. Always something to fiddle or tinker.Propane tanks, grey water, fresh water levels, batteries and water heater, HVAC.

It's a lot of effort. If you dig that more power to you. It's a pain to me.

It's work, but I really dislike

IC
[subject]
Sunday, May 31, 2020, 11:57 (1426 days ago) @ WB

carrying stuff into and out of a motel each day. Setup of the RV is easy, once you get used to it. You worry far more about your next gun purchase and/or magazine prize.

We live about 30 miles from a very

WB
[subject]
Sunday, May 31, 2020, 14:15 (1426 days ago) @ IC

nice recreational lake (Greer's Ferry Lake). It is a really pretty and handy place to relax and enjoy the water. 95% of my RV experience has been going that distance and setting up the base camp. We take the RV and boat. We used to go up 3-4 times a year with the kids. They would stay there and I'd drive to work back and forth and check on the house and critters too.

Hot Springs Lake Ouachita is nice too, we used to SCUBA dive there a bunch. It's only a couple hours away.

RV is an adventure. I've not done it like you Irv, you have it down. I may get back into it one day.

For as much as most people use them. You can rent one

Blake
[subject]
Sunday, May 31, 2020, 04:38 (1426 days ago) @ Winn

Then if you get the bug, you will have some experience with what you like and don’t like, then you make better choices.

If you go with a trailer,

IC
[subject]
Sunday, May 31, 2020, 05:05 (1426 days ago) @ Winn

you can unhitch it and use the tow vehicle to drive around.
If you go with a motor home, then you'll want to tow a vehicle to use once you park. My wife really prefers our 5th wheel over using motels. WB has seen our setup.

Winn it depends on what you want to really do

Grover Sr
[subject]
Sunday, May 31, 2020, 05:57 (1426 days ago) @ Winn

With it. We've had popup trailers, Aframe folding campers, teardrop and travel trailers over the last 50 years. I like the Aframe such as Aliner and popups for the light weight and towing. We like state parks and military campgrounds. The popup and Aframe are available with cassette toilets so no running out at night to use the bathroom. We would always use the showers at the parks even when we had larger travel trailers with full baths. We averaged at least 40 nights a year camping. Small camper = low insurance rates $150/year. I have a friend who has a motorhome, His insurance is over $2,000 a year. Had to put new tires on it this year - another $6,000. Averages 6-8 mpg on the road. Pulling my popup and Aframe decreased my truck mileage from 21 mpg to 19 mpg. Tires every three years with bearings packed/replaced and brakes serviced on them was $300 or less. We always bought units with A/C. Instead of running the furnace in winter we used portable electric heaters (why burn my propane when I am paying for a site with electricity?)

What brand names did you like?

Winn
[subject]
Sunday, May 31, 2020, 15:13 (1426 days ago) @ Grover Sr

- No text -