Well, gotta find find an indoor hobby

Grover Sr
[subject]
Tuesday, April 07, 2020, 18:45 (1473 days ago)

living in town means we are pretty much restricted to the house and shop the rest of this month. Thinking about getting into leather work. Been scouring the web looking at videos. Belts and holsters would be my primary interest as well as knife sheaths..

My step-dad Craig learned the trade in Prison

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, April 07, 2020, 18:52 (1473 days ago) @ Grover Sr

(For armed robbery among other fun things) He gave me some simple tools and taught me the basics. It is very relaxing. Both the stitching and tooling. I see many holster makers that form holsters, both sides from teh same weight leather. A BIG mistake in my opinion. This allows the shape of the gun to form and press on the wearer. I think they should have a couple grades thicker on the inboard side and it only conform into a curve like the wearer's hip. Let the outside form and bone to the contours of the gun. I may get back into it myself one day, simple utility pieces.

Interesting comments

Grover Sr
[subject]
Tuesday, April 07, 2020, 20:13 (1473 days ago) @ WB

My stepfather and grandfather both went to prison after getting caught making moonshine. Stepfather learned plumbing and pipefitting which hl
ud improve his still making skills after his release. He did also get a weekday job with a plumbing company to placate his PO officer

It’s quite a story. I could write a book.

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, April 07, 2020, 21:00 (1473 days ago) @ Grover Sr

Some cases, once a con and a crook, always it’s just under the surface. It doesn’t take much for the lures of this superficial world to let a man ruin himself.

It’s amazing how getting leather warm and saturated allows it to be shaped and stretched. I once took a 1911 thumb break black basket weave and by dunking it in hot water I perfectly confirmed it into a custom holster for a 5” N-frame S&W. Those holsters can be hard to find. An underrated brand with brilliant design and craftsmanship is Don Hume. Look for them in gun shop and gun show bargain bins.

Good point Scotty, the Feds are issued Don Hume.

SPB
[subject]
Wednesday, April 08, 2020, 06:08 (1472 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

MY FIRST N-FRAME HOLSTER WAS A DON HUME IN 1959

JT
[subject]
Wednesday, April 08, 2020, 07:51 (1472 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

This sounds like a country song...

Bead
[subject]
Wednesday, April 08, 2020, 06:20 (1472 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

SEVERAL GOOD HOLSTER MAKING

JT
[subject]
Tuesday, April 07, 2020, 20:17 (1473 days ago) @ Grover Sr

VIDEOS ON YOU TUBE

Leather Working Tools

Robt
[subject]
Tuesday, April 07, 2020, 22:09 (1473 days ago) @ Grover Sr

Buy good quality tools to start with and avoid the cheap Chinese stuff sold on EBay. Harness needles, a Stitching Groover, a # 2 or 3 Edge Beveler, a razor blade Utility Knife, a Boner made of plastic , bone, or deer antler, a Stitching Fid, and a Stitching Wheel will get you started. I cheat a little by laying out my stitching pattern with my Stitching Wheel and drill my holes with a 1/16” drill bit in my Drexel tool. Google is your friend to locate catalogs that show the necessary tools. Since not too many tools are needed, it will be best to purchase name brand tools such as those made by Osborne. Tandy makes some cheaper but serviceable tools too. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice Robt

Grover Sr
[subject]
Wednesday, April 08, 2020, 05:14 (1472 days ago) @ Robt

- No text -

Good advice on using a stitching will and

JT
[subject]
Wednesday, April 08, 2020, 09:10 (1472 days ago) @ Robt

Then drilling the holes before sewing. I've made hundreds of holsters this way and it is a lot easier on the hands. I started with Tandy tools back in 1962. Hands are too tender now to cut out leather by hand.

WHEEL NOT WILL, OF COURSE.

JT
[subject]
Wednesday, April 08, 2020, 09:11 (1472 days ago) @ JT

- No text -