What's the best way to store leather holsters?

Grover Sr
[subject]
Monday, April 06, 2020, 18:20 (1452 days ago)

Over the years I've accumulated a number of shoulder holsters, bandoleer holsters and other gun leather. I've been keeping them in plastic totes but that makes it cumbersome to easilt find the holster I need. I have been thinking about stringing a line in my shop to hang them from. The problem is that it is not heated during the winter. Do gou guys think that would be an issue? I know growing up on the farm we kept all the tack for draft animals in the barn. I treat them annually with leather conditioner of some sort.

Conditioned and dry air

Brent Clark
[subject]
Monday, April 06, 2020, 20:03 (1452 days ago) @ Grover Sr

- No text -

I use Renaissance micro-crystalline wax

Larry Fry
[subject]
Tuesday, April 07, 2020, 08:58 (1452 days ago) @ Grover Sr

polish. Clean them first so that there is no verdigris on them and then put a light coat of the was on them. After it drys, in a minute or two, buff the leather with a soft rag. I then just string mine on a leather thong I cut from a leather side that is 1/4 inch wide and about 3 1/2 feet long of 8 oz leather. The thong has already been treated with linseed oil and stretched and wiped down thoroughly so that it will not interact with the wax polish on the holsters. I don't do the inside of the holster as when you hang them up, keep them in a dry area without any excess moisture. Check them monthly to be sure that they are not drying out and cracking. Anything that starts to crack rub in some linseed oil and wait for the leather to swell and then put more wax polish on them. I have not had any problems with my holsters since I started preserving them this way. A local leather shop showed me how to set this up. Off line me if you want more info. e_f_r_y_2_9_8_at_g_m_a_i_l_dot_c_o_m with the underbars removed.