Colt SIgnature Seies Black Powder Revolvers

Robt
[subject]
Wednesday, April 01, 2020, 21:26 (1487 days ago)

Does anyone have one of these and actually shoot it? I’ ve been looking for one to use as a shooter. I realize these were finished by Colt, but outsourced from overseas. Ruger Old Armies are not seen much in my neck of the woods. Most of the imports seem to me to be a little on the crude side with sketchy availability of parts . I suppose Cimarron and Uberti may have some better quality revolvers, but again they too are scarce around here. My experience with EMF and Armi San Marco has not been good.
Can anyone offer suggestions abut your choice for a black powder shooter?

WHERE ARE YOU THAT CANNOT GET

JT
[subject]
Wednesday, April 01, 2020, 21:38 (1487 days ago) @ Robt

UBERTI WHICH IS OFFERED BY CIMARRON, CABELA'S AND DIXIE GUNWORKS?? YES I HAVE COLT/UBERTIS AND HAVE SHOT THEM. GO ONLINE AND CHECK THE THREE MENTIONED.

BLACK POWDER SIXGUNS

JT
[subject]
Wednesday, April 01, 2020, 21:51 (1487 days ago) @ JT

LOL love the BP's and when JT shows out.

Sid R
[subject]
Thursday, April 02, 2020, 07:03 (1486 days ago) @ JT

- No text -

For actual shooting the Remington copies are superior

WB
[subject]
Thursday, April 02, 2020, 08:38 (1486 days ago) @ Sid R

to the Colt's. Sorry JT but I can't duplicate your groups without getting powder burns on the target. lol The sights are the issue actually. Back when those guns were engineered they never truly envisioned their use past rock throwing distances. The sights were basically there because purchasers expected them to have them of some fashion.

The solid frame Remington 1858 has a groove in the top strap and a well shaped front (a feigned attempt at a blade) and the U-notch usually affords good sight picture. Now it may shoot a foot low and 6" to the left, but if it does that all the time you can work with it. Contrast the Colt that has basically a sharpened peg for a front sight and a half-ass attempt at a V-notch cut in the "Fully Cocked" hammer! If you can hold steady with that "disappearing rear sight" you are lots better than me. (most are) Very interesting and innovative as there is no topstrap to groove anyway. Remember the Colt was the first "Successful" and mass produce revolver. The Remington pre-dated the Colt SAA some 15 years. It had a grooved topstrap long before Colt's even had them.

Jim Taylor has some good experiences with the Cap & Ball with information on the throating issues etc. If the balls coming out of the cylinder are smaller than the bore that can cause issues. But the pure lead does upset some to help. There are some interesting dynamics that can be improved. I've always wanted to drill the topstrap on a 1858 Remington and install a Bushnell Phantom scope. Believe it or not I've seen some others do just that! Starting in the mid 1960's. It takes the sighting issues out of consideration.

Powerwise it's .38 Special class. I don't care what you do, if you can manage some .44 Special performance you have really done something. You really need to be responsible about the game you planto chase with it. I know, Goerg took Black Bear with a Remington adorned with scope. But you are not Al Goerg, neither an I. Hunting I shot the ROA with a 270 gr. bullet at 900 fps. Using all sorts of trickery, that was very minimal for even a small hog. It's a great topic and story for discussion.

The Colt was superior to the Remington in combat.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Thursday, April 02, 2020, 09:20 (1486 days ago) @ WB

You could fire many more shots without the gun tying up than the Remington. The Remington as WB says, is easier to get accuracy with. In close quarters combat that is not an issue. Reliability is.

My hunting loads from my Remington copy ran over 1000 fps. I could get over 1100 fps but much past that, the pressures blew the hammer back .....

Great gun for Javelina and deer if you knew your distances and your own limitations.

[image]

I knew Jim would eventually chime in with

WB
[subject]
Thursday, April 02, 2020, 10:07 (1486 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

experience. The Colt is really handy for cleaning as you can literally snap it in half, two pieces. The Remington is different. You might struggle to get the cylinder indexed and pulled out. Fired caps can also get snagged easier in the full frame Remington. That's where the enhanced Combat reliability comes into play.

I have some real sinister ideas about Cap & Ball use as a fun hunting gun, none of which cater to historical accuracy. A 138 gr. pure lead RB at 1100 fps is more like a 9x19 Luger than much else. The lead hammers the crap out of things, and surprising penetration that you'd not think. I remember a friend with a TC Hawken in .45 (.440" 127 gr. patched Round Ball) went clean through a doe at 100 yds. propelled by 65 gr. FFg. But energy transfer and organ damage is minimal except for that .44 hole. Hit a bone and things are totally different as that lead flattens to the size of a quarter. It's quite the paradox! The recoil of heavier conical bullets will walk them right out of the front of the cylinder. So you are limited there too.

AND THE REMINGTON WAS MORE PRONE TO BLOWING UP

JT
[subject]
Friday, April 03, 2020, 08:13 (1485 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -

Percussion Revolvers

Robt
[subject]
Wednesday, April 01, 2020, 22:13 (1487 days ago) @ JT

I live in SW PA . The very few shops in my area rarely have black powder guns in stock. I hope and pray this Covid 19 Crisis passes so that a few of the gun shows in my area will once again be scheduled. Gun shows would probably be my best to see some of the better quality black powder guns. I’ m starting to get tired of not being able to get out and about due to our Governor’s stay at home order for the last month.

YOU CAN ORDER THEM YOURSELF FROM ANY I HAVE MENTIONED

JT
[subject]
Thursday, April 02, 2020, 09:18 (1486 days ago) @ Robt

- No text -

BP revolvers

Burban
[subject]
Thursday, April 02, 2020, 09:26 (1486 days ago) @ Robt

To add to Mr. Taffin's list - Taylor's & Company.
www.taylorsfirearms.com
They are in Winchester, VA. They have a small showroom but it might be wise to call ahead to make sure they are open. I don't think Virginia Governor's "stay home" order exempted gun shops. My LGS thinks they are not exempt. YMMV.

JT, have you shot the Uberti rolling block rifles?

Grover Sr
[subject]
Thursday, April 02, 2020, 07:01 (1486 days ago) @ JT

I have fancied getting a 38-55 for a while now. Pedersoli and Uberti both seem to have them.

I HAVE NOT

JT
[subject]
Thursday, April 02, 2020, 09:17 (1486 days ago) @ Grover Sr

- No text -

Not JT, but have Uberti and Pedersoli Rolling Blocks...

Huey
[subject]
Thursday, April 02, 2020, 10:40 (1486 days ago) @ Grover Sr

Have the Uberti Baby Rolling Blocks in 22 Magnum, 22 LR, 218 Bee and 357 Magnum. They are fine shooters.

Also have two in pistol form in 22 LR and 357 Magnum.

Took a Pedersoli Rolling Block to Africa in 2018.
[image]

Thanks Huey, zuberti is more in my budget

Grover Sr
[subject]
Thursday, April 02, 2020, 12:32 (1486 days ago) @ Huey

- No text -

Here’s a roa

Jk
[subject]
Thursday, April 02, 2020, 04:14 (1486 days ago) @ Robt

I can recommend the ROA. I have 3 and love them.

Sid R
[subject]
Thursday, April 02, 2020, 07:06 (1486 days ago) @ Robt

- No text -

Check a local gun forum for classifieds, or internet search

Asa
[subject]
Thursday, April 02, 2020, 09:13 (1486 days ago) @ Robt

I only have Rugers which can handle anything then prefer Uberti for imports, has been recommended to stay away from brass frame and Armi san Marco, I have no knowledge of these however.