Loading some BIG rounds today...

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, April 01, 2020, 15:16 (1493 days ago)

Processing the brass is the most laborious, basically like a big .30-06. I'll certainly segregate my brass from now on. There is a huge difference in surplus product fired from say a M2 over what I shoot in our bolt guns. The brass stretches horrifically and needs almost 1/10" trimmed off. Spec says 3.9" but I usually run back to 3.875". I cheat though, use the lathe. Literally chuck the case and cut that sucker.

[image]

You can see the different marks on the datum line on the shoulder. I can't FL size sitting in a chair, I have to stand up! Also note how you lubricate a BIG case. Make it greasy or shed tears later. ALWAYS better to have too much rather than too little. The primer pockets all have to be reamed by hand. Not too fun with arthritis.

[image]

[image]

[image]

I experimented a little and you can neck-size only but there is not that much difference in my gun chambers and FL size, minimum specs. The rifle does not stretch cases like the BMG.

My loading is backed off about 10% from top loadings listed. That's (25) grains less!

I do have some bigger ammo to round up. Don't let Denning see this though, he does not need one. He's much better off scorching bras and panties, he'll only get into trouble.

[image]

Is that a mold for your mortar?

Bob Denning
[subject]
Wednesday, April 01, 2020, 19:20 (1493 days ago) @ WB

I’m a bit afraid to launch something that goes too far. Bras and panties only go about 30 yards. Firewood about 300 yards. 8 ft trees (as projectiles) about 200 yards. Cooking oil about 10 ft.

Can you make a few for me? PLEASE!!!

I bought a new to me cannon barrel

Bob Denning
[subject]
Wednesday, April 01, 2020, 19:26 (1493 days ago) @ Bob Denning

This one is about 3 feet long. Rifled lined steel barrel insert. Beer can caliber. Weighs about 70 lbs. I still have to build a “base” for it. This one will need wheels. Should be fun to shoot a beer can filled with concrete into the pond.

This is my kit, sure I'll give you some balls

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, April 01, 2020, 19:53 (1493 days ago) @ Bob Denning

They are 3 lbs. each. I painted them with a plastic paint so when folks finger them it won't get lead on them. You need to remember some foundational Cannon principles. At a minimum you need 0.100" slop or "freebore" between a projectile and the bore. That's 0.05" on each side. Think Peashooter. This keeps pressures from peaking wildly. Also you need the most coarse or large granule powder you can find, no smaller than FFg, back off if you use anything under Cannon grade or Fg. Pyrodex will do but do not use fine grade. Shotgun is the smallest grade I'd use. Also projectile weight should not exceed the projected weight of a round ball the size of the bore. You load a MAXIMUM of 1 oz. (427 grs. by volume) per INCH of bore size. You can't outrun shrapnel.

Your rifled rig sounds too light to be safe, recoil will be violent! My 2.5" bore 1/5 Napoleon tube alone weighs 165 lbs. Free recoil is around 10-12 ft.

[image]

A RB will be traveling 750-1000 fps, 3#!!!

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, April 01, 2020, 20:14 (1493 days ago) @ WB

So it will easily shoot 1/2 to a mile at optimum angle. My book says you maintain a 75 Deg. Angle on the Mortar at all times and regulate the distance with the charge! That’s why they use charts! My last few sessions with live projectiles at that angle had “hang times” in the 15 second range.

Not just anyone needs to be goofing with these things.

If I remember , there's a guy on youtube who hunts with one

Derek
[subject]
Thursday, April 02, 2020, 13:37 (1492 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

The Denning Bra Cannon

MTM
[subject]
Wednesday, April 01, 2020, 21:10 (1493 days ago) @ WB

[image]

In action at the HHC a number of years ago.