My daughter is into "Magnum PI" episodes

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 14:26 (1490 days ago)

My poor children had to suffer The Beverly Hillbillies, and Twilight Zone, Andy Griffith, The Brady Bunch, etc. She loved "Wanted Dead or Alive". Now she'd found that she prefers the campy plots and humor of the older shows.

She is totally put off by Magnum's mustache though! LOL Totally grosses her out, calls it a hideous caterpillar! She exclaimed why did they have those back then? lol Anyway there is not all that much gun-play but I have seen some lately while she watched. The Villains usually sport the classics, snubby revolvers or smaller autos like the Walther , even a .25 in one. Magnum of course is an ex-Marine so he carries a Govt. 1911. Higgins, quite suitably, had a Webley .455 MKIV that Magnum borrowed and got wrecked. He also was sporing an UZI to use from the helicopter on one episode. One sniper was tracked down since he used the classic .303 British.

I know it is mostly the work of movie armorers but at least they wrote Thomas Magnum to use a 1911. That does add to the story line for me. I love how he tries to stalk another car, a 6'6" guy in a fire-engine red Ferrari 308, not conspicuous at all.

Not a Marine

AlanT
[subject]
Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 14:30 (1490 days ago) @ WB

He was Navy; SEALS

He was Naval Intelligence

Tom
[subject]
Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 15:28 (1490 days ago) @ AlanT

- No text -

But of course, got to be! That was mid-late 70’s.

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 16:01 (1490 days ago) @ Tom

I remember a guy tried to run down this gal on the beach with a 1977-78 Suzuki MX bike. Good choice of weapon and probably not too many on that island! Of course black suit and helmet.

back in the early to mid 80s gun lovers had

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 14:52 (1490 days ago) @ WB

some good shows to watch. Besides Magnum we had Miami Vice, which was my favorite. Besides Magnum's 1911, Sonny Crockett's Bren Ten, various S&W 45s, mostly the model 645 and several Detonics, including the Scoremaster and Combatmaster were used on the show along with the little sawed off 12 gauge that Rico Tubbs used along with his pistol gripped pump 12 gauge and his little S&W model 36. Great show for the gun folks..

Ahhhhhh, Miami Vice,

Tom
[subject]
Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 15:30 (1490 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

go anywhere on a Friday night during the hour that was on
and you had the place to yourself, everyone was home watching Miami Vice.

Michael Mann

Greg M.
[subject]
Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 15:40 (1490 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Executive producer of Miami Vice, always insisted on realism with respect to firearms handling/usage on his productions . . . not typical for Hollywood. THIEF (1981) and HEAT (1995) are classics. The final sequence in THIEF, where James Caan uses a longslide 1911, might be the best gunfight in cinema history.

It's a shame he's fallen off in recent years. The 2006 MIAMI VICE movie is ok but really doesn't recapture the vibes of the show. PUBLIC ENEMIES (2009) was so boring I stopped halfway through it. John Milius's DILLINGER (1973) with Warren Oates is a far superior Dillinger movie.

Milius and Mann were the 2 top producers of

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 16:12 (1490 days ago) @ Greg M.

action movies back in the 80s and early 90s. The original Red Dawn was one of the movies produced by Milius. He was also the man behind Eastwood's Dirty Harry and Magnum Force plus Apocalypse Now and Extreme Prejudice. In several of his movies part of the movie had to do with them talking about the cartridges they were using, like Dirty Harry and Magnum Force where they talked about which 44 he used and Extreme Prejudice where they talk about the cartridges and who manufactured them. Just about any realistic action movie he had his hand in.

Controversial opinion

Greg M.
[subject]
Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 16:43 (1490 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I think MAGNUM FORCE is even better than DIRTY HARRY, one of the few sequels that exceeds the original. Harry admits he uses .44 Specials in his Model 29 when he has to qualify. "A man's got to know his limitations."

It was indeed a great sequel! The MotoGuzzi’s

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 17:49 (1490 days ago) @ Greg M.

A Triumph or two also. The whole plot was shocking and sinister. The Colt Pythons were fantastic. Dirty Harry the bad guy was so creepy, I really wanted him gone. Can you imagine shooting a Magnum inside a ship?

amazing scene

Greg M.
[subject]
Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 22:37 (1489 days ago) @ WB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgHWwYQ3XSg

"You, of all people, should understand that."
"I'm afraid you've misjudged me."

I also enjoy Magnum Force more than Dirty Harry.

Stuart in GA
[subject]
Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 19:08 (1489 days ago) @ Greg M.

- No text -

Simon & Simon

okie
[subject]
Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 20:14 (1489 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I've been watching Simon & Simon and one carried a snub stainless S&W .357 and the other carried a model 29 with at least a 6 1/2 barrel, I love those old 70's and 80's detective shows, Houston Nights was another good one.

Has she seen the re-boot of

Tom
[subject]
Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 15:34 (1490 days ago) @ WB

Magnum P.I.?

She did not like it. Female Higgins?!

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 15:57 (1490 days ago) @ Tom

- No text -

HIGGINS IS THE PRETTIEST GIRL ON TV!

JT
[subject]
Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 16:30 (1490 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Could it be that

Greg M.
[subject]
Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 16:03 (1490 days ago) @ Tom

old TV (thru the '80s) is objectively better than new TV, and we're not just a bunch of old fogeys? The kids get it, the Rod Serling TWILIGHT ZONE is a big hit now with the younger crowd.

Fondly remember watching syndicated reruns of ROCKFORD FILES and HAWAII FIVE-O with my dad on summer afternoons back in the '90s...