Star PD Mags ?

~JM~
[subject]
Sunday, March 29, 2020, 22:19 (1492 days ago)

I have 3 after-market magazines for the Star PD. I believe they are Triple K mags. One 6 rd. & two 10 rd. They do not function reliably. I believe the follower (flat steel type) causes the problem. The rounds do not approach the feed ramp with enough upward angle to feed up into the chamber. Are there other followers with a more rounded profile that could be retro fit? How about mag spring replacement?

I found this article: http://www.alpharubicon.com/leo/starpdserger.htm
It states that S&W 457 magazines will function in the PD.

Anyone have any other advice/experience to share?

Thank you.

Now you know why std. mags are $65+

WB
[subject]
Monday, March 30, 2020, 07:04 (1492 days ago) @ ~JM~

The PD is nice. I’ve had a couple, ditto the little sister BM. Were Cooper alive today he’d be a closet fan of the G30s, but probably not admit it.

I have one and it’s hard to fault for a .45 carry gun. It’s not much fun to own, it’s ugly, really can’t dress it up or tune it (for the expense). It just works. A tool. The G19 is identical in size but holds (5) more rounds of the smaller 9mm. Back in the late 1970’s I’d not fancy shooting anything bigger than a rabbit with a 9mm. Super-Vel was about the only HP and advertised for cops only. Boy have things changed! The 9mm is more than an acceptable tool. The fact there are 9’s out there smaller than the .380 of yore, about like a big .25 ACP is astonishing.

I’ll like old guns but don’t short change yourself where self protection comes into play. As Mr. Taffin once said, the good o’l days are now!

I had Gary do up a PD for me awhile ago. It’s

Drdougrx
[subject]
Monday, March 30, 2020, 08:11 (1491 days ago) @ WB

pretty nice. I don’t carry it though....SW Shield in 45acp for me as its registered in multi states. I have 3 mags with mine, a factory and 2 generic. Not sure the make but don’t use them at all. I was intrigued by your suggestion of using SW457 mags....I’ll pick one up if it presents itself but until then I’ll keep what I have.

I gun is cool to own and if it needs sprucing up, by all means send it to Gary!

What's a "sprucing up" run

Doctor
[subject]
Monday, March 30, 2020, 14:26 (1491 days ago) @ Drdougrx

Thereabouts for a Star PD?

according to what all you want done. The

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, March 30, 2020, 17:25 (1491 days ago) @ Doctor

package with bluing the polished slide with a bit of engraving, plus the satin finish frame and fire blue small parts runs $500. Grips on our 3 guns are Pachmayr but not sure I can find any as they haven't been made in a long time. Grips out of exotic walnut or some other wood or Corian are $150.

I Have Two OEM PD Mags

~JM~
[subject]
Monday, March 30, 2020, 18:47 (1491 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I would like to use these other ones as spares if they could be made reliable. I believe the follower is the key.

$65 is not expensive for a good reliable magazine. Is your

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, March 30, 2020, 11:07 (1491 days ago) @ WB

life worth $65?

UGLY? I Don't Think So.

~JM~
[subject]
Monday, March 30, 2020, 18:48 (1491 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

I agree.

IC
[subject]
Monday, March 30, 2020, 19:19 (1491 days ago) @ ~JM~

- No text -

response to WB's "ugly" remark. Here is a man that thinks

gary reeder
[subject]
Monday, March 30, 2020, 19:47 (1491 days ago) @ WB

the old 301 SL is a beauty? There are a helluva lot more things one can do to the PD to spruce it up than the old P.O.S. 301 SL along with the 40 caliber version. And you carry a Kahr? Nothing more than a pimple on the ass of beauty. Show me something one could do to make that dog look better. I heard that your hero Nancy Pelosi carries one in her panties in a belly band holster the same way you do.

And speaking of Jeff Cooper, he carried a Star PD 90% of the time. Especially after he became wheelchair bound. He also wrote several articles praising the PD.

So watch your facts "old man" or I will have Doug Faith take you out behind the wood shed and "learn" you a thing or three.

I saind Glock was ugly, not the PD

WB
[subject]
Monday, March 30, 2020, 21:51 (1491 days ago) @ gary reeder

And I also said IF Cooper were a live and sharp today. A lot of things have changed since he passed, RIP. I liked him even though he screwed Al Goerg out of a story or two on hunting handguns, Cooper was credited when it was Goerg's writing. It was more likely publishing that did it. Things were different in the 60's.

Even GNR remarks how the G19 is a very good defense arm. I'm sure Cooper would nowdays agree, and slightly alter his views to include some of the modern tools. Based upon simple function rather than passion of a design.

You monkeys should know me better than that.

I do know that is the first 2 paragraphs you have

gary reeder
[subject]
Monday, March 30, 2020, 23:55 (1491 days ago) @ WB

written without mentioning money or the cost of something or how you still have your first 20 dollar bill and are waiting for it to be worth $22.

You silly goobers, I said Glock was ugly, not the PD

WB
[subject]
Monday, March 30, 2020, 22:07 (1491 days ago) @ gary reeder

And I also said IF Cooper were a live and sharp today. A lot of things have changed since he passed, RIP. I liked him even though he screwed Al Goerg out of a story or two on hunting handguns, Cooper was credited when it was Goerg's writing. It was more likely publishing that did it. Things were different in the 60's.

Even GNR remarks how the G19 is a very good defense arm. I'm sure Cooper would nowdays agree, and slightly alter his views to include some of the modern tools. Based upon simple function rather than passion of a design.

I'd never say the WSL line was attractive looking, but possibly interesting.

You monkeys should know me better than that.

Thunderstorm resulted in two posts.

WB
[subject]
Monday, March 30, 2020, 22:22 (1491 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

I MAY BE A GOOBER, BUT I'M NOT SILLY!

~JM~
[subject]
Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 11:36 (1490 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

The PD was rated by one of the Consumer magazines as

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, March 30, 2020, 11:04 (1491 days ago) @ ~JM~

the most reliable 45 on the market for years and I would list their magazines as the reason. If you are going to shoot and carry a PD buy the factory mags.They are a little expensive but no more than a lot of other magazines. But that rounded one piece follower keeps them reliable.
[image]
[image]

S&W 457 Mags

Erik Stenberg
[subject]
Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 07:46 (1490 days ago) @ ~JM~

[image]Not saying you couldn't make it work, but there is a considerable amount of difference in the location of the S&W 457 magazine catch on the right and the PD on the left. It fits the mag well but it will not seat without some modifications. In my opinion, spend the $65 and get originals

S&W 457 Mags

~JM~
[subject]
Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 08:01 (1490 days ago) @ Erik Stenberg

Thank you for posting that. The article link above was the only time I had heard the 457 mag was compatible. I wasn't sold on the concept from just one article.

Who offers original PD mags?

PD Magazines

Erik Stenberg
[subject]
Tuesday, March 31, 2020, 09:11 (1490 days ago) @ ~JM~

There are several for sale on eBay and also on Gunbroker. I check those 2 sites frequently. Have paid as low as $45 and as much as $75