"Bullitt" revolver

MountainWanderer
[subject]
Monday, March 23, 2020, 16:25 (1501 days ago)

TCM had the movie on Saturday with Steve McQueen playing SFPD Lt. Frank Bullitt. Always thought it a blue, 2.5", Colt Python yet considerable research has yielded that it was the little sister, a .38 Special, Colt Diamondback with Detective Special grips. Besides the actual shooting scene, there are several other short views, including static holstered looks at the very end which aren't very helpful. Anyone have any documented information by chance? Thanks!

here are the guns used in the movie

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, March 23, 2020, 17:06 (1501 days ago) @ MountainWanderer

Handguns
Colt Diamondback. SFPD Lt. ...
Colt Detective Special. ...
Smith & Wesson Model 58. ...
Colt M1911A1. ...
Winchester Model 1897.

Yes it made the Diamondback famous.

WB
[subject]
Monday, March 23, 2020, 17:58 (1501 days ago) @ MountainWanderer

The Diamondback is of course on the same D size frame as the Detective Special, thicker topstrap with adj. sights and ribbed heavy barrel. The smaller grips are standard on the 2.5". They are 6-shot too with very smooth V-type mainsprings and no stintered metal parts. I've handled them but never owned one. They made them also in 4" and 6", and in .22 LR.

The movie was a big hit, still is iconic. All of the cars were prolific in the movie from the little girlfriend's roadster to the Charger and Mustang. I also liked the short M97 the bad guys used to grease the snitch.

So much good stuff in that movie. The Diamondback is on my list, I'm old enough now to truly appreciate it.

another Diamondback movie was a John Wayne movie

gary reeder
[subject]
Monday, March 23, 2020, 21:18 (1501 days ago) @ WB

remember it? That tiny little Diamondback in his hand looked like a childs toy gun.

YES. WAS IT BRANNIGAN?

JT
[subject]
Monday, March 23, 2020, 21:19 (1501 days ago) @ gary reeder

- No text -

yup, see the post above

gary reeder
[subject]
Monday, March 23, 2020, 21:25 (1501 days ago) @ JT

- No text -

another one where he used a tiny revolver this time was McQ

gary reeder
[subject]
Monday, March 23, 2020, 21:29 (1501 days ago) @ gary reeder

The sub gun stole the show, Mac-10

WB
[subject]
Monday, March 23, 2020, 22:37 (1501 days ago) @ gary reeder

In that final scene he also used a Browning HP. I also thought the revolvers were Diamondbacks since they looked smaller. I read however they were 2.5 and 6" Pythons. That "little" revolver is actually a K-frame M10!

It seems he had really big mitts! According to the sources.

Diamondback

Ray
[subject]
Tuesday, March 24, 2020, 11:51 (1501 days ago) @ WB

I just watched Brannigan. The main Scotland Yard character identified Brannigan's revolver as a 4" 38 Special Colt Diamondback.

this one

gary reeder
[subject]
Monday, March 23, 2020, 21:24 (1501 days ago) @ gary reeder