Wow, Kenny Rogers and Don Garlits gone today.

WB
[subject]
Saturday, March 21, 2020, 17:33 (1502 days ago)

I like some of his old songs. Garlits was sort of a innovative bad boy in Drag racing. So many records and cool cars. He cut one in half and lost part of a foot with the clutch blowing in front of him, so he switched to the engine in the back. The rest is history. I never have stopped in his car museum in FL, need to do that.

Both men RIP.

Garlits

okie
[subject]
Saturday, March 21, 2020, 18:11 (1502 days ago) @ WB

It was his brother Ed Garlits that passed away, I think Don is 88 now and still messing with his cars.

Lets find out. I hate misinformation.

WB
[subject]
Saturday, March 21, 2020, 18:40 (1502 days ago) @ okie

- No text -

I stand corrected , Ed Garlits, the younger brother

WB
[subject]
Saturday, March 21, 2020, 18:50 (1502 days ago) @ WB

still a racing legend has passed away after a long illness. I think Don is like 88? Last I heard he was trying to break a record in an all electric dragster!

I recently watched the movie "Snake and Mongoose".

RonE
[subject]
Saturday, March 21, 2020, 18:54 (1502 days ago) @ WB

It was about the rivalry and partnership of Tom "The Mongoose" McEwen and Don "The Snake" Prudhomme. Showed a lot of history of drag racing from about 1963 until the nationals in 1978. A lot of the safety innovations were noted in the movie. The Garlits crash was mentioned. I spent a lot of Saturday nights at Beeline Dragway on Beeline Highway a little north of Mesa Arizona watching races and walking the pits. Good times :)

Very cool! I liked them too. Hot Wheels cars set.

WB
[subject]
Saturday, March 21, 2020, 20:02 (1502 days ago) @ RonE

- No text -

R U sure about Don, I couldn't find it.

Darryl T.
[subject]
Saturday, March 21, 2020, 18:13 (1502 days ago) @ WB

I see his brother Ed passed 2 days ago. I grew up in Plant City just down the road from Ocala. Went to the museum several times when I have went back to visit relatives through the years. About 20 years ago I painted a drop tank Bonneville racer that went on display at the museum. It held an electric power record.