that long thread below about changing the gripframe to an

gary reeder
[subject]
Sunday, March 15, 2020, 14:09 (1474 days ago)

aluminum one baffles me. Why? Does 3 or 4 ounces make you either a better shot or a worse shot? Are you so puny (and I don't think any of you are) that carrying 3 more ounces will break your back? If you want lightweight, then carry a lightweight semi auto for defense. If you are out doing the bunny hop in the bad part of town, or at Wallmart looking for TP (both dangerous endeavors) then a Glock 17 makes more sense than a 6 shot revolver. Or if you are hunting, then the couple ounces extra weight can help keep the gun steady for that offhand shot. For a hundred years I carried a Contender plus as backup one of my Auto Mags, and the Auto Mag is much heavier than the TC. Even now in my "twilight years" (I like that term. Don't understand it but I like it) I carry a TC and my Alaskan hunter in 429 GNR as back up. So if this old goat can carry an Encore or G-2 with a full size revolver, both loaded, why are you pussies worrying about 3 ounces extra weight.If 3 ounces will buckle your fragile bodies, leave 3 rounds of extra ammo home. That will save you the 3 ounces.

I actually didn't install it because it was aluminum...

Huey
[subject]
Sunday, March 15, 2020, 14:14 (1474 days ago) @ gary reeder

I bought it on a Saturday Sale because I liked it. I did weigh it because it made a difference.

Guess I'm confused? Thought that was the whole point of customs? So each shooter could set their guns up to suit them.

the custom part wasn't what my post was about. it was folks

gary reeder
[subject]
Sunday, March 15, 2020, 14:16 (1474 days ago) @ Huey

worrying about an extra 3 ounces. Not a damn thing to do with customizing a gun to your wishes.

I just thought it looked great with nice grips...

Huey
[subject]
Sunday, March 15, 2020, 14:26 (1474 days ago) @ gary reeder

- No text -

Not many can notice a few ounces.

WB
[subject]
Sunday, March 15, 2020, 14:51 (1474 days ago) @ gary reeder

Unless you have some guns to compare side by side. Even then it is subtle. Several ounces, more like 6-8 (near half a pound) you can easily tell. I think a S&W M60 is 24 oz. compared to 16 oz. for a Airweight M637. In your pocket it makes a heck of a difference.

I have speculated how my .45 Colt six-gun feels so lively and a similar .357 just feels chunky. The difference has to be the bored holes/weight.

I have three times worked toward a "lighter" packing custom. A .44 Special on a OM .357 chassis with alloy gripframe and lightening cuts, another in .400 cal., and the little .Single-six .400 cal. They all weigh within 3-4 oz. of each other, avg. about 35 oz.

[image]

The .44 has a heavier barrel and stainless ejector housing (I like it better for an ounce or so), the .38-40 was not outright done for lightness but it is light just the same, and the single-six. The SS I thought would be really lighter but has a steel Bisley gripframe and other parts and weights the same as the other two! Go figure.

[image]

You need some heft anyway. Twice I've tried the S&W Scadnium frames and they are strange. They recoil so fast, no muzzle rise just straight back, painful, hand slapping. A .38 Special is painful to shoot! Not to mention dampening shakes while holding and sighting. You need some weight. Don't get me wrong, for carry you forget it's there but to be forced to shoot one of those hand burning terrors I need to be really scared or mad at something that needed shooting.

[image]

I agree with the spirit of GNR. For actual light weight I have a 7-shot (.38-40 performance) auto that weighs only 16 ounces. For really serious use (actually shooting) I have my wheelgun that runs 36-38 oz. That's about right for carry, a 1911 in .45 or 10 runs 38-40 oz. in all steel. In the 50+ oz. range that starts to weigh my belt down and I usually switch to a shoulder rig like my Reeder/Goerg. I usually sling my single shots. I just like it that way. It's good to have so many and exploration has driven many of my builds I commissioned.

*A 10-shot .45 ACP compared to a 5-shot J-frame, both 24 oz.
[image]

Yep, Gary said it best here...

Huey
[subject]
Sunday, March 15, 2020, 15:03 (1474 days ago) @ WB

that Backpacker was designed for folks who kept asking for a

gary reeder
[subject]
Sunday, March 15, 2020, 16:07 (1474 days ago) @ Huey

single action under 30 ounces. We finally got it for that group of folks that carry a single action in everyday use. But to be honest I think that is the only single action I have ever weighed, (at least that is the only one I can remember). As far as my personal guns, i have never weighed even one of them. If you are going to carry a gun all day, then go with comfort and fit. 3 or 4 ounces are not going to make that gun or you, shoot better or worse. When I worry about weight, I'll know it's time to ease off on the chocolate chip cookies.

I think a great idea. Especially working around the place...

Huey
[subject]
Sunday, March 15, 2020, 16:17 (1474 days ago) @ gary reeder

My land stretches 1/2 mile, so when I'm out with the chain saw, etc in hand, I appreciate a great idea.

45 Backpacker

stonecold
[subject]
Sunday, March 15, 2020, 16:37 (1474 days ago) @ gary reeder

As the proud owner of that Backpacker shown in the picture above (the prototype) I strongly agree with Gary that it is for folks who carry it in everyday use. I am rarely without it on the property or in the national forest. Killed a good number of deer and hogs with it. I limit my range on such game to about 40 yards or less, but with a good rest that could certainly be stretched a bunch. All of Gary's work is outstanding, but this one is just exactly as good as it gets for me.

I agree. Limited benefit use, but perfect for certain needs.

Huey
[subject]
Sunday, March 15, 2020, 16:40 (1474 days ago) @ stonecold

- No text -

To Heavy

Tim Dollar
[subject]
Sunday, March 15, 2020, 19:01 (1474 days ago) @ gary reeder

Holly Crap I didn’t think the Hrs changing at the WalMart was going to stir things up. But when you mentioned Taco Bell now I understand

El Diablo 44 is awesome

Chance Dunlap
[subject]
Monday, March 16, 2020, 07:20 (1473 days ago) @ WB

Love that

WANT TO REALLY LIGHTEN THE LOAD?

JT
[subject]
Sunday, March 15, 2020, 14:22 (1474 days ago) @ gary reeder

DON'T EAT SO MUCH!

you mean I can't have that 4th piece of cake?

gary reeder
[subject]
Sunday, March 15, 2020, 14:25 (1474 days ago) @ JT

- No text -

It depends on what the cake is made of.

John W
[subject]
Sunday, March 15, 2020, 15:59 (1474 days ago) @ gary reeder

- No text -

I would gladly exchange all of my aluminum

Sid R
[subject]
Sunday, March 15, 2020, 16:17 (1474 days ago) @ gary reeder

Frames for blue steel.

we sell quite a few of the lightweight alloy

gary reeder
[subject]
Sunday, March 15, 2020, 16:33 (1474 days ago) @ Sid R

grip frames with custom grips fit to them, but I think it is more to semi customize their guns, rather than shed some weight. I don't remember the last time someone called and asked for an alloy grip frame, just because.