Loading for the 5.7X28 will NOT be for everyone

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, March 04, 2020, 10:47 (1486 days ago)

It sounds like fun but I have enough irons in the fire right now. It's mostly about attitude and experience. On a blow-back gun you cannot "enhance" performance by loading hotter. All you can focus on is making the platform function (barely is best) and then the performance outcome just is, what it is. Sort of like loading rounds with Trail Boss, you just end up with what you do and focus on accuracy. I do really like the Ruger engineering manipulating a "delay" on the blow back enhancing function and safety. It looks really good as a design.

You can manipulate the bullet weight, up or down, but still the focus is on barely making the action work. Normal performance parameters like speed and energy are out the door. You cannot manipulate the outcome as normal. The 5.7 brass is super thick, a good thing. It is less likely a blown web would occur, there is some safety built in. The projectile has to be far enough down the bore to lower pressures before the action is opening and exposing a weak area of the brass case. Too fast opening and BOOM! A blown case. I have not read the Ruger manual on their new 5.7 but I am certain any reloaded ammo would be most highly discouraged. In this case it's not just a legal liability footnote it's actually sage advice!

You truly need to know what you are doing loading for a blowback round like the 5.7x28. Tiny variations in powder weight make big changes since there is not much to begin. A good Benchrest powder measure would really help. You would want to control down to 1/10 grain if you could. I see the 5.7 pushing a 40 gr. about 300-400 fps faster than a .22 WMR, and about 300 fps slower than a .224-32FA or .224 K-Chuk revolver. Not a bad range in performance given the convenient platform. Sounds like fun.

It will be interesting to see what transpires with time.

[image]

I'm definitely going to add one of these...

Huey
[subject]
Wednesday, March 04, 2020, 11:05 (1486 days ago) @ WB

But, probably a Contender Carbine too. Will be a use for once fired brass if nothing else.

In a contender it would rival a .222 Rem. ! But

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, March 04, 2020, 11:25 (1486 days ago) @ Huey

Blow the Ruger clean in half if you mixed the ammo! Lol

I doubt very seriously that many folks will

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, March 04, 2020, 12:07 (1485 days ago) @ WB

load for the cartridge. With 3 or 4 new companies coming out with factory ammo for it, the price should go down considerably. Plus by reloading such a small capacity cartridge they probably won't be able to benefit from loading it. The companies that load it commercially will have access to powders that we can't buy so reloading is probably not something beneficial. I would never load for mine. The ammo is for small game hunting and even at today's prices it is not that costly.

JUST PUT A VIPER RED DOT ON

JT
[subject]
Wednesday, March 04, 2020, 13:31 (1485 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

MINE ND PLANNING TO SHOOT TOMORROW. I HAVE RELOADING DIES BUT ............

[image][image][image]

John, let me know how that Viper red dot works for you

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, March 04, 2020, 14:25 (1485 days ago) @ JT

We have had so much trouble with Vortex scopes that we are not carrying the Viper or any Vortex optics anymore. But it would be interesting to see how it does. I expect it will do very well as the 5.7 has negligible recoil.

Uh, well....was hoping for a whole gun package review...

Huey
[subject]
Wednesday, March 04, 2020, 14:27 (1485 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Just Sayin...

John always gives us the full package. I am

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, March 04, 2020, 14:32 (1485 days ago) @ Huey

just interested in how the red dot does.

I figure more 22 Hornet ballistics...

Huey
[subject]
Wednesday, March 04, 2020, 13:56 (1485 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Huey, you are pretty much right on that. The 222 in a

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, March 04, 2020, 14:20 (1485 days ago) @ Huey

Contender with a 45 grain bullet is 2700 fps, while the 22 Hornet also in a Contender with a 45 grain bullet is 2400 fps. The 5.7 with a lighter 31 grain bullet in a Contender is just a bit over 2300 fps. And that is with a 14 grain lighter weight bullet. With equal weight bullets the difference would be even more.

just looked up the velocity of the 5.7 in a handgun

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, March 04, 2020, 14:31 (1485 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

the ballistic chart shows the 5.7 at 1900 fps in a 10" Contender. The 2300 figure I quoted above was out of the carbine.

Sounds about right. So, between 22 Mag and Hornets...

Huey
[subject]
Wednesday, March 04, 2020, 14:36 (1485 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Should be quite useful around the homefront...

I was talking at 50,000 psi, like a normal CF.

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, March 04, 2020, 16:11 (1485 days ago) @ Huey

You can look at the sedate P90 carbine ballistics. With the shoulder bumped forward to prevent chambering in a blow back that round would rock. Ditto necked to .17 and loaded hot.

we sold the first 3 we got in and have 6 or 7 others waiting

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, March 04, 2020, 11:59 (1485 days ago) @ Huey

for the next batch. This is going to be a good thing for Ruger.