Tested a bunch of lead free crap today!

Larryh
[subject]
Sunday, February 23, 2020, 17:20 (1522 days ago)

Shot some Barnes and Lehigh defense .45 in my Trail Gun .45Colt today. Both shot real good with AA9 but found the rounds were backing out with what I thought was a real tight crimp using my Hornady dies. Anyone have any experience with these Lead Free commifornia required loads? No problems with other bullets such as the Hornady and Sierra normal people get to shoot stuff! Heard I might need to go with a heavy roll crimp. Going to shoot some 455GNR in my Howdah revolver tomorrow with both the Barnes and Lehigh but may need to run them through the crimp die a little bit deeper. Help?

Are you seating to the front of the crimp groove?

steve todd
[subject]
Sunday, February 23, 2020, 17:36 (1522 days ago) @ Larryh

Seating the bullets where you can still see the crimp groove doesn’t allow for the case mouth to roll over into the groove. Lead bullets are soft and crimp anyway, copper are hard and wont “give” to hold the bullet. You probably already knew that, but thought i’d remind you, just in case

Yep, in the groove.

Larryh
[subject]
Sunday, February 23, 2020, 17:41 (1522 days ago) @ steve todd

- No text -

Thinking roll crimp, maybe?

Larryh
[subject]
Sunday, February 23, 2020, 17:42 (1522 days ago) @ Larryh

- No text -

Yup, heavy roll crimp

steve todd
[subject]
Sunday, February 23, 2020, 18:46 (1522 days ago) @ Larryh

If you are having issues. Seat the bullet (to the end of the crimp groove) in one step, then roll crimp. Make sure the bullets chamber, with a heavy crimp you risk over crimping and wrinkling the case. It may look ok, but the cartridge may not chamber.....again, you probably know this already.

I have been experimenting with the Barnes in 410GNR.

DinCA
[subject]
Sunday, February 23, 2020, 19:11 (1522 days ago) @ Larryh

I finally found a load my 410GNR likes using the Barnes XPB. As the other misfits said, get a good roll crimp in the groove and you should be good. I have not tried any of the Lehigh Defense bullets because I'm cheap and they are not.

Use a smaller diameter neck expander.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Sunday, February 23, 2020, 21:01 (1522 days ago) @ Larryh

When I started experimenting with 300 gr. bullets in the .45 Colt years ago it was common for bullets to back out under the recoil. I took and ground the expander die to a gentle taper and just slightly opened the case to start a bullet.

Not sure you can see it but it you look close you can see where the bullet expanded the cartridge case.
[image]

You can also try "Cutting Edge Bullets".

DinCA
[subject]
Monday, February 24, 2020, 05:34 (1521 days ago) @ Larryh

- No text -

you are going to have to go with a roll crimp

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, February 24, 2020, 10:15 (1521 days ago) @ Larryh

the bullet doesn't have a lead core so it doesn't give a slight bit when the mouth of the brass crimps in. With lead free commi bullets you need to do a real heavy roll crimp. but have your pistol handy to check and see if you are doing too much of a crimp that it bulges the mouth of the case.

Loaded some 455GNR and 44M with a roll crimp

Larryh
[subject]
Monday, February 24, 2020, 11:02 (1521 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

This morning. Going out the range now.... Any thoughts on good roll crimp dies and where to get them?

your current 455 and 44 mag dies will do a good

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, February 24, 2020, 12:19 (1521 days ago) @ Larryh

roll crimp. The only handgun dies that don't roll crimp are ones for semi autos.

Shot a dozen in the 455GNR and 44M today

Larryh
[subject]
Monday, February 24, 2020, 13:18 (1521 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

No issues other than accuracy! Had to put 12 rounds of 270 grain Speer Gold Dots through the .44 just to make sure it wasn’t me! The Lehigh 250gr Extreme Penetrator seems to be working out pretty good in the 455 Howdah!

"extreme penetrator"

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, February 24, 2020, 13:42 (1521 days ago) @ Larryh

sounds like a new condom

Latex and lead free!

Larryh
[subject]
Monday, February 24, 2020, 13:49 (1521 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -