Black powder

Ed
[subject]
Saturday, February 22, 2020, 18:12 (1496 days ago)

I was just reading JT's comments below. I am just starting to get set up to load black powder in a 4570 government. Also now exploring this new endeavor I have become interested in using black powder in handgun cartridges also. The cowboy shooters use a lot of black powder and it seems pretty interesting.
I see many advantages with black powder guns. Mainly reduced recoil and also stress on the firearm.
What experiences have you with the handgun cartridges.

There is nothing and I mean nothing advantageous

Sid R
[subject]
Saturday, February 22, 2020, 18:50 (1496 days ago) @ Ed

To using black powder. Unless your hobby is thoroughly cleaning your weapons every time you use them. Down load modern powders to obtain the old muzzle velocity you seek. Cheaper too.
I shoot muzzle loaders a lot and have four ROA's. It only takes one time not cleaning it to realize it's nasty on your weapon. I've bought and refinished several and resold them. Yes they are fun as heck and I love them. But having said that I would not subject a modern weapon to that corrosive stuff. JMHO.

Cleaning, disassembly, reassembly

steve todd
[subject]
Saturday, February 22, 2020, 19:37 (1496 days ago) @ Sid R

It’s all part of the enjoyment. The sound, recoil and single digit variations are the advantages. jmho

AMEN STEVE. AND I HAVE NEVER

JT
[subject]
Saturday, February 22, 2020, 20:58 (1496 days ago) @ steve todd

FOUND CLEANING TO BE THAT MUCH OF A PROBLEM ESPECIALLY WITH MODERN SOLVENTS AND WINDEX. THERE IS SOMETHING VERY SATISFYING TO ME ABOUT CONNECTING TO THE PAST. THERE IS NOTHING WIMPY ABOUT A 2445 GRAIN .45 BULLET OVER 40 GR. OF BLACK POWDER OR A A 200 GR .44-40 WITH THE SAME LOAD. IT TAKES OLDER BALLOON HEAD BRASS TO HOLD 40 GRAINS, BUT I HAVE PLENTY OF IT, AND MODERN BRASS IS MORE LIKE 35-37 GRAINS.

BLACK POWDER

JT
[subject]
Saturday, February 22, 2020, 21:05 (1496 days ago) @ JT

I reiterate my love of black powder shooting.

Sid R
[subject]
Sunday, February 23, 2020, 08:33 (1496 days ago) @ JT

I've made it easier to clean with a big ultrasonic cleaner. When I go to shoot I usually have 5-10 firearms with me. A full time job with overtime, 20 acres and critters to care for, volunteering time to a charitable organization, reconditioning neglected firearms with VA connected disabilities puts time at a premium. I won't even go into marrying a younger lady recently with a teenager totally changed my life. Life is good, god is great but cleaning my weapons no longer pegs my fun meter.

FINE BUT DON'T RAIN ON SOMEONE ELSES' PARADE

JT
[subject]
Sunday, February 23, 2020, 11:13 (1496 days ago) @ Sid R

- No text -

He asked for experiences Sir. and gave him mine.

Sid R
[subject]
Sunday, February 23, 2020, 14:06 (1495 days ago) @ JT

- No text -

SID You obviously have a busy schedule BUT

JT
[subject]
Monday, February 24, 2020, 07:23 (1495 days ago) @ Sid R

we all have the same amount of time every day; no more, no less. How we as individuals spend it whether due to choice or circumstance has nothing to do with how anyone else uses their time.

ED WITH SIXGUNS I ONLY SHOOT BP IN

JT
[subject]
Sunday, February 23, 2020, 17:25 (1495 days ago) @ Ed

ORIGINAL 19TH CENTURY SINGLE ACTIONS, REPLICAS THEREOF AND PERCUSSION PISTOLS.

In a round about way that was what I was trying to say.

Sid R
[subject]
Monday, February 24, 2020, 11:38 (1495 days ago) @ JT

Went off on a tangent of the time needed to clean. I just don't see the purpose of black powder in a modern gun built for modern powders. Thanks JT.

WE AGREE ON THAT. ONLY ORIGINALS AND

JT
[subject]
Monday, February 24, 2020, 19:43 (1494 days ago) @ Sid R

REPLICAS THEREOF FOR ME. THE MAGAZINE ONCE HAD ME DO A TEST WITH BLACK POWDER IN A 1911--WITHOUT SMOKELESS IT WOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN.

Was gettin it done back then, it'll get it done today

Asa
[subject]
Tuesday, February 25, 2020, 21:16 (1493 days ago) @ Ed

Works the same, just be cautious and understanding of how to load and pay attention to bullet lubes as well as lubricants for your firearm. Might have to clean em more but that's part of the fun, hell I have some guns that I've cleaned and never even fired.