What you actually stick down your pants

WB
[subject]
Friday, February 21, 2020, 09:38 (1532 days ago)

When you actually begin using all this stuff it's different. I chose the smallest 9mm handgun I could acquire that suited me specifically. I was looking for shootability, good sights, good feel to me. It is real handy to carry and I know I am so much better armed than a .380 (while being about the same size as most). Even my beloved snubby .38's cannot even come close to the utility of it. I carry with 6+1 and a spare 7 shot mag is hardly noticed. Pocket carry though not only exposes it to lint and such but can pop rounds out while you walk or sit. You really need dedicated mag carry too. Not much wider a package is a "mid-size" service 9mm. Mine happens to be an old school WaltherP99 but typifies the G19, SIG 320, XD, whatever 4" 9mm double stack. (My G30s .45 10-shot is exactly the same size -FWIW) Holstered up there is not that much difference, the cm or mm numbers really don't mean squat. How does it feel in your beltline? Does it become almost unnoticed or does it become a lingering burden with time? Something left home or in a vehicle due to discomfort won't help you a bit. As good for me as my two choices seem to me I cannot overstress how much better armed I am with the larger gun. In comparison I have a 2 lb. 2 oz. loaded 16-shot platform and a 1 lb. 7 oz. 7-shot. But the real difference is in handling and shootability.

[image]

[image]

Concealing over different forms of attire is a worthy question but the simmered answer may surprise. It's the grip sticking out. A shorter handle is so much easier to cover and not "print". Enough so that many makers have come up with viable solutions of having the larger platform but with a short grip, then including an adapter grip magazine turning the gun into a full size higher capacity rig with the longer mag inserted. Walther and Springfield, SIG and others. It validates the point, and they are worth a look. I do notice the grip length more than slide length in carrying.

[image]

[image]

Just some things to mull over. I use both. There is a little notable difference in how they feel carrying. Just a light shirt and I may use the smaller, going to church with a jacket it may be the larger. Just how I feel that day. I still have a tiny .380 and even a .25 that drop in a pocket and I use them too. Things I have noted and consider. Everyone has an opinion and it does not bother me one bit if you do something different than me. I seldom do what others suggest, initially. LOL

Exactly, it depends on what fits YOU.

Amede
[subject]
Friday, February 21, 2020, 09:50 (1532 days ago) @ WB

I am big enough that I could carry an LAR Grizzly in a shoulder holster and people wouldnt notice. A commander sized 1911 fits me fine in most occasions. I like a lightweight Taurus or Spr XD to throw into a pocket and not worry about a holster if needed. I may try the Gen 4 glocks and see if they fit my hand better. Earlier models didnt feel right to me. I am even thinking of an LCR or Charter arms in 327 as a backup.

Sorry for the flurry of posts

WB
[subject]
Friday, February 21, 2020, 10:07 (1532 days ago) @ Amede

I'm home taking a couple days off with some pneumonia. Asthma makes me more susceptible. The prednisone has me hyped.

Doug had a couple of the big Taurus snubby wheelguns (.41,.44,.45). They are big, but they have relatively shorter grips and feel better than you'd expect in the beltline. Revolvers in general have less grip than autos. That helps them carry better than one might think. My 4" L-frame is surprisingly packable, and what a gun, accuracy and power!

I Carry

Shaun
[subject]
Friday, February 21, 2020, 12:40 (1532 days ago) @ WB

a 4” model 57 almost everyday and have found with the right belt and the right holster can be comfortable. Belt makes a huge difference. I agree fully that the grip is really doable. Cylinder at the belt line, at about 3:30 on my strong side is most comfortable. 3:00 lays the barrel on my hip bone and can ache after a while. Prefer the barrel right behind the hip bone.

Haven’t completely figured out the tucked shirt for Church thing, but working on it. Have a rig that needs more testing. Carry a speed strip in the off side pocket as it lays flat and concealable.

In the winter, I carry my Glock 23 in an outside waistband

Lymey
[subject]
Friday, February 21, 2020, 12:57 (1532 days ago) @ Shaun

holster. In the summer it varies from a Ruger Lc9s or lately, a Sig 365 in outside the waistband holsters. Can't deal with an inside the waistband holster. My draw sucks with one. I tried an appendix holster but couldn't handle it pointing at my femoral artery while sitting. The 9's are super slim and hide well under a t-shirt. As with most posts here, the biggest giveaway is the butt of the gun printing.

Gary's slide holster is perfect for a N-frame!

WB
[subject]
Friday, February 21, 2020, 13:21 (1532 days ago) @ Shaun

- No text -

I have a Taurus snubby hammerless 44 special and

Woody
[subject]
Friday, February 21, 2020, 14:41 (1532 days ago) @ WB

it does carry better than you would expect. WB, get well soon. Being sick sucks.

In my pants pocket !

Jk
[subject]
Friday, February 21, 2020, 10:15 (1532 days ago) @ WB

[image]. Seecamp 380 and NAA 32 Both reliable.

Naa revolver

Jk
[subject]
Friday, February 21, 2020, 10:24 (1532 days ago) @ Jk

[image]. Modified the holster that comes with the gun. I removed the belt clip ,added a snap and now it holds spare rounds,

Panache, prissy too. I like it.

WB
[subject]
Friday, February 21, 2020, 10:25 (1532 days ago) @ Jk

- No text -

If you ain't too skinny ...

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Friday, February 21, 2020, 11:28 (1532 days ago) @ WB

it's easy to hide a full-size 1911 ...

[image]

[image]

That tucks in really nice. The CCW trainer was

WB
[subject]
Friday, February 21, 2020, 11:36 (1532 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

all trendy and high on what they now call "appendix carry". I cannot manage that comfortably, sorry. For me it's more about the width and length of the grip as to carry comfort. The slide length has more variation in comfort.

normally I just carry my Star PD in my Yaqui holster

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, February 21, 2020, 11:52 (1532 days ago) @ WB

[image]

If we go out to eat and they have a sign saying no firearms I still carry but I carry Mexican carry in the small of my back tucked down in my jeans. And if it is a place like a doctors office or hospital where no guns are allowed, I still carry but tuck it down in my cowboy boot. If Colleen is with me I drop it in her purse with her 2 or 3 guns that she carries.

The good thing about my Yaqui holster is just about anything will fit in it.And they never fall out.
[image]
[image]
[image]

I like your Yaqui holster also ..

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Friday, February 21, 2020, 12:48 (1532 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

Jim, what holster is that?

SPB
[subject]
Friday, February 21, 2020, 11:45 (1532 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

- No text -

Simply Rugged ... not sure the model ...

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Friday, February 21, 2020, 12:46 (1532 days ago) @ SPB

I carry the Star PD in it also ..

Rob made me one of his Sourdough's

WB
[subject]
Friday, February 21, 2020, 14:01 (1532 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

for the Custom Reeder ElDiablo 4" .44 that I can wear outside, high, canted, crossdraw, or inside the pants! Talk about versatile! He always speaks highly of Gary and tells stories of stopping in to see him on occasion.

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

I don't worry too much about the gun "printing" anymore

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Friday, February 21, 2020, 13:16 (1532 days ago) @ WB

most people would not notice if you had a dead chicken tied to your waist.

wait a minute. You are getting a bit kinky on the

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, February 21, 2020, 14:42 (1532 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

dead chicken stuff. Pray tell, how did that chicken die?

Trying to go across I-35

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Friday, February 21, 2020, 15:02 (1532 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -