tried to clean up our building #2 shop recently and found a

gary reeder
[subject]
Sunday, February 16, 2020, 18:22 (1523 days ago)

good sized box of 10mm and 38 Super mags, all marked "BAD". Recently in a spare moment (I have very few of those) I took them apart, soaked them in hot soapy water, cleaned the insides and lubed them good and less than half of them will feed. And all are new. I have several not marked other than the caliber, some Mec Gar and some Kimber, and out of about 30, I think I found 5 that I feel will work, at least well enough to run them thru a batch of ammo. Why is it that nobody makes a decent 10mm or 38 Super magazine? I have tried Colt, Kimber, Mec Gar, Springfield Armory, Rock Island, Sig and some unmarked magazines and found maybe 1 in 6 that functioned flawlessly. The rest had all kinds of failures. If the mag companies would take a look at the Star PD magazine with it's solid rounded follower they might make a decent magazine. In over 40 years of shooting various Star PDs I don't remember ever having a mag failure.

I have a combat shoot coming up and had planned to shoot a custom longslide 10mm we are working on. But the course entails 25 kill targets and several no kill targets with 2 shots per target so I will need at least 8 magazines figuring I will kill a hostage or two along the way. But I can't seem to find more than 2 or 3 magazines that I would bet my life on. Colleen says to try the Ruger 10mm mag so I will give a couple of them a try. Hopefully they will be better than the others I have tried.

Well, dang. I just picked up a used Kimber 10mm...

Stuart in GA
[subject]
Sunday, February 16, 2020, 20:50 (1523 days ago) @ gary reeder

...and bought three MecGar magazines as I've had good luck with those in other formats. The gun came with a pair of factory Kimber mags.

So, this may be an interesting range session this week.

Mec Gar makes almost everyone's magazines

gary reeder
[subject]
Sunday, February 16, 2020, 22:47 (1523 days ago) @ Stuart in GA

very few companies make their own these days. but the 3 or 4 Mec Gar 10mm mags had flat steel followers and those very seldom work.

I think I found one that looks interesting

WB
[subject]
Monday, February 17, 2020, 08:08 (1523 days ago) @ gary reeder

Even the high dollar Wilson has a flat follower, however it may be just ducky. It looks kind of like it might be a modded MecGar for $40 a pop.

Brownells sells this one that I noted used a very different follower. Metal form? Not too bad at $28 retail. Dealers get a little slack but not much at Brownells. I’d not mind trying one myself.

[image]

there were a couple of the Metalform mags in

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, February 17, 2020, 10:21 (1523 days ago) @ WB

the batch marked bad. They were all 45 caliber. There were Chip McCormack, Wilson, Mec Gar, Springfield Armory (which I think were just Mec Gar with the SA logo), Colt and a couple of other brands in the "bad" box. No 45 ACP mags in there other than the 2 Metalform mags, mostly 10mm and 38 Super with one or two 9mm mags.

I just showed the Metalform picture to nate and he said we

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, February 17, 2020, 10:37 (1523 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

have tried several of them and it was hit or miss, some good, some bad. The 45 mags are pretty good, the 10mm not so good. He said he didn't think we had tried any 38 Super mags by them.

They had a different more rounded follower

WB
[subject]
Monday, February 17, 2020, 12:26 (1522 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

That looked interesting. I note the dance Wilson, flat followers, have a unique patent mark on them. Maybe they are onto something? Guns are different, the angle, tip up/down as slide begins to push, how long the mag lips hold the round, all sorts of variables. It is truly a machine, with timing and design element needs. I can still stare at a square hay baler with amazement!

Put those BAD mags in next Sat. sale, start over.

WB
[subject]
Monday, February 17, 2020, 12:58 (1522 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

no, as if I did whomever bought them would bitch

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Monday, February 17, 2020, 13:57 (1522 days ago) @ WB

that they don't work. i would rather throw them in the dumpster and not have to worry about anything coming back at us.

Couple bucks each for “parts” who could bitch?!

WB
[subject]
Monday, February 17, 2020, 15:23 (1522 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

I'd be down for cheap mag. components.

Stuart in GA
[subject]
Monday, February 17, 2020, 17:13 (1522 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Scotty, those Metalform mags look just like...

Stuart in GA
[subject]
Monday, February 17, 2020, 10:23 (1523 days ago) @ WB

...the factory Kimber mags that came with my Eclipse.

I'm waiting on my order from Doubletap.

Followers and Springs

Brent Clark
[subject]
Monday, February 17, 2020, 09:27 (1523 days ago) @ gary reeder

I know nothing about Tripp Research and not recommending. But remembered seeing this hybrid follower. https://www.trippresearchinc.com/super-special-upgrade-kit/[image]