Anyone going to the Lancaster PA Hunting Expo next month?

Howard
[subject]
Thursday, January 16, 2020, 17:13 (1562 days ago)

Or is it kind of a bust with the Harrisburg show the week before? Found out about the Lancaster Expo from Eastern Chapter of Wild Sheep Foundation. I'd really like to do a sheep hunt before I'm too old and if it won't break the bank.

better save your $$. We have an auction of

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, January 16, 2020, 17:29 (1562 days ago) @ Howard

a big horn sheep hunt here in Arizona and I saw it go for almost $200,000. The "Governor's Tag" always goes for mega bucks. Just getting a standard tag is extremely hard here in AZ. And even if we get drawn the guide will cost us in the range of $30,000 with no guarantees.

Naw, I want to retire, I thought AK sheep hunts were around

$20K? Howard
[subject]
Thursday, January 16, 2020, 17:56 (1562 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

no idea. I haven't priced Alaska sheep hunts

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, January 16, 2020, 18:02 (1562 days ago) @ $20K? Howard

in years. Even 10 years ago they were high. I was reminded that one of the Arizona sheep tags auctioned off for $250,000.

GOOD dall sheep hunts 20K-25K in Yukon and

Woody
[subject]
Thursday, January 16, 2020, 21:39 (1562 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Bonnet Plume Outfitter is among the best. Unfortunately they are booked out for 2020, 2021 and 2022. That's a good sign of a first rate outfitter. They also do moose, caribou, and Grizzly out of the Yukon. They also do black bear and whitetail in their Alberta Canada camps. Of course, its Canada so no handguns. However, I'm not so sure I would do handgun for any high dollar sheep hunt anyways..too much money at risk with the handicap of limited range. I'm sure you could get the same hunt in Alaska for the same money though if a handgun was a must. I remember looking at the sheep hunts at the show in Harrisburg when you could get one for 6800.00 I was a member of the Eastern Chapter of FNAWS for years before all the nonsense of different sheep foundations began. That's when I left. Talk about rubbing elbows with the wealthy!

Sheep

KevinT
[subject]
Friday, January 17, 2020, 06:59 (1562 days ago) @ Woody

The Yukon is divided up into areas and each outfitter has a assigned area, I believe something like 15 outfitters handle the whole province. Could be why the prices are what they are, that and the logistics of getting into your hunting area is pricey. Usually the bush flight in is not included also, bear that in mind. However, In my opinion you cant go wrong with any of them, But they are expen$ive and to rich for my blood, believe me I would love to go there, But $$$$
Alaska is getting more expensive, not as bad as the Yukon but getting there. A tip would be, if you can fly up there on short notice, find an outfitter or 3 you would like to maybe go with and see if they have any, or wait for, potential cancellations. Booking agents can help here to, if you want to go that route. Usually you can have that hunt for about $1000 off, then do a little negotiating. Guys just don't do that when it comes to hunting trips. They'll go to a gun show and argue for an hour for 20 bucks on a beater shotgun, yet just pay the asking price for a hunt. Try it sometime, you would be surprised.

Why in the world are the guides prices that high??

Cdf
[subject]
Thursday, January 16, 2020, 19:23 (1562 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Havent seen no elk worth that! Can't eat the antlers Lol.

Desert Bighorn auctions are always 200K+ because you will be

Woody
[subject]
Thursday, January 16, 2020, 21:43 (1562 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

dead long before you draw a tag...even if you are a newborn.

The sheep grand slam is ~400K if sucessful each hunt. I know

Woody
[subject]
Thursday, January 16, 2020, 21:50 (1562 days ago) @ Woody

a guy that did it 4 times. Owner of Merrit seed company out of New York. He was pretty old last time I spoke to him so he may have passed on. Was in his 70's when he completed his last grand slam so age has nothing to do with success.

Going to the Harrisburg show.

Andy S
[subject]
Thursday, January 16, 2020, 20:23 (1562 days ago) @ Howard

E

There are some really good outfitters donating

Woody
[subject]
Thursday, January 16, 2020, 21:57 (1562 days ago) @ Howard

hunts to the eastern chapter of the sheep foundation. Reach out to one of them as im sure they can give many references of eastern chapter members. The sheep foundation, their members and sheep outfitters have a close relationship and I have never heard of any unreputable sheep outfitters all the years I was a member. It just wouldn't be tolerated in that circle...at all.