Moving my son to a private with Shoot Sports..

Gus S.
[subject]
Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 18:53 (1561 days ago)

With all the insanity right now, I've decided to move my son to a Christian private school. It's actually a fair sized school and they do shooting sports. Trap and Skeet. So.. who knows anything about trap and skeet. I've shot a lot of clay birds but never properly played the games. They start in middle school. What are they shooting? 20ga, 28ga?? What shotguns are a good start in this game. I was thinking a CZ o/u. Is an o/u gun even what they use? I'm doing research now but someone in the know is always a better source of info.

What shot gun to buy?

Sunny
[subject]
Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 19:42 (1561 days ago) @ Gus S.

As I did with my kids the shotgun that FITS HIM is the best gun to buy, Start visiting many shops try many guns

Agree with Sunny, whichever 20 ga fits best

Derek
[subject]
Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 19:52 (1561 days ago) @ Sunny

- No text -

I would recommend a good gas operated

jthomson
[subject]
Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 20:24 (1561 days ago) @ Gus S.

12 gauge. with an adjustable cheek piece and a ribbed barrel. The 12 gauge will have less recoil than a lighter weigh 20 and many reduced power level shells are available that just are not offered in other gauges. Start off looking at a Beretta 391 Ureka and work your way down in price until you find one that works. Heck there are a lot of Remington 1100 or 1187 out there on the used market. Start off with a box of subsonic ultra lite Winchester AA shells. there are several brands to choose from. Make it enjoyable for him and you will have a shooter for years to come. There is even a 4 yr university in St Louis that offers shooting Scholarships

Thanks for the info.

Gus S.
[subject]
Thursday, January 16, 2020, 06:34 (1561 days ago) @ jthomson

This year two kids from the school got full ride Shooting Scholarships. They're pretty serious about it. I have a 1187 youth 20ga and a loader. I'm sure I can cobble together some low recoil loads. It'll be two years before they can join the team. We have time to get acclimated and find a different gun if we need to.

I shot skeet for a few years. Wore out a 12 gauge SKB

gary reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 22:20 (1561 days ago) @ Gus S.

model 600 skeet in 12 gauge. Got bored with it. If Larry Farley happens to get on here he would be the one to ask. He shoots probably 50,000 rounds a year. He goes down to Argentina and shoots 30,000 doves with a buddy of his. I told him a while back that due to 5 screws in my right shoulder (mostly from that skeet shooting) I couldn't handle a 12 gauge anymore. he talked me into a 28 gauge O/U. I now have a handful of them. He has one of those fancy reloaders that whips out about 50,000 rounds an hour, give or take a few. If I had a youngster interested in Skeet shooting I would ask Larry first and do what he tells me.

Stay away from trap. If you don't own a 3 million dollar house, drive a Lamborghini and shoot a $30,000 trap gun, you won't fit in. Personal opinion only.

We'll play whatever game the school is doing

Gus S.
[subject]
Thursday, January 16, 2020, 06:41 (1561 days ago) @ gary reeder

However, There won't be any $30,000 shotguns in my future. I'm supposed to get info next week. I'll hollar at Farley if I have any questions. Thanks for the info

hahaha Larry and I shoot the same gun

jthomson
[subject]
Thursday, January 16, 2020, 06:48 (1561 days ago) @ gary reeder

mine trap,
his skeet, I drive a beat up old chevy truck