Speaking of home Gunsmithing challenges...

WB
[subject]
Tuesday, January 14, 2020, 19:26 (1535 days ago)

I have set about to take a bit different approach on preparing a sound 1911 10mm Auto platform. I don't want real heavy springs, nor limited life buffers, no fancy triple spring systems. I also don't want it to beat itself to pieces or batter itself. Not likely anyway but I need to tinker. This is a crusty old 1980's AMT Javelina stainless, no silly firing pin blocks etc. to fret with.

I believe this to be either the original "buffering" system on a FL guide rod system or an interesting and inspiring add on. I'll retain it for now.

[image]
[image]

I have a long way to go filing and smoothing little casting boogers, and generally smoothing things.

[image]
[image]

I decided to re-spring it totally and acquired an all inclusive kit. I also fitted a stainless "flat bottom" firing pin stop plate. It required much more hand fitting and slow trial and testing than the instructions implied. The largest impediment was the area of the extractor notch that would not allow the plate to slide up far enough for the firing pin to pop through the hole. Took me a while to figure that out. (I only shot it flying across the room once) I also had to file the rounded top flat to clear the rear sight notch. It really does not feel different to me racking the slide with hammer down. But it's supposed to really help. I opted NOT to install the reduced hammer mainspring. In fact I still need to source a 23-25# unit to complete the mechanical goal.

[image]

One big problem was the Wilson sear spring. I simply could not get it to work. I must have tried it 50 times. The leaf that controls the grip safety has some issue, I'm still working on it but the stocker is great.

Note old kinked plunger spring, blued stocker leaf spring went back in, stainless one pending.

[image]

My hero! And all without a dremel or duck tape!

Drdougrx
[subject]
Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 06:19 (1534 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

A real ballistical artificer!

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 07:02 (1534 days ago) @ Drdougrx

- No text -

I did use my Swiss Army a little. To assist plunger detents

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 07:04 (1534 days ago) @ Drdougrx

clearing the safety. I did shoot those across my desk a few times. Trying that sear spring so many times. For those minutes though, I forgot all the other troubles in the world.

Just went through a similar task....was shooting my reeder

Drdougrx
[subject]
Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 07:29 (1534 days ago) @ WB

Bh in 356GNR and it seized up solid. Loading gate wouldn’t move, hammer and trigger stuck. Finally worked it all loose and took it apart. Seems a piece of the cylinder latch plunger broke off and jammed the works. I replaced the plunger but had a heck of a time getting everything to line up correctly. I probably took apart and reassembled 6-8 times before all went together as it should......then....the pun I used holding the hammer spring retainer on the strut snapped. Across the basement went the spring and retainer...found after a time and then...getting that reassembled was another multi task chore! But...missing accomplished and we are back in business!!

Back in teh 1980's I was assembling an AR in my shop

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 08:23 (1534 days ago) @ Drdougrx

Actually in a corner setting in the floor. My carpet was selected to mimic dirt and debris so foot traffic would not show as bad. Alas, it was the most efficient camouflage for any spring or pin I ever saw. I was attempting to set a detent and spring when it launched. Even then, not without some experience in such matters, I went stone silent, quiet, listening for the detent to land. Nothing.... I sat there for a few moments knowing it could have landed on the creases of my jeans or whatever, and planning my careful next move to search methodically. Suddenly the part landed in my lap! It had a hang time of perhaps 45 seconds in a room with an 8 ft. tall ceiling. The only thing I could figure was that it poked into the acoustical tile material that has pores in it and stuck for a bit. Gravity overcame it and it plopped back down. At the time I had ordered a kit from an old place I used to do business with "P.W.A." and they indeed included every pin, spring, part to the letter. NO EXTRAS. Getting another part was a real pain, took a couple weeks back then in snail mail and phone call days. I learned to order extras like that for sure. I still have some of them too, 35 yrs. later.

Yep.....there’s a buffer retainer and spring for

Drdougrx
[subject]
Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 10:42 (1534 days ago) @ WB

An AR somewhere in the ether of my basement! I now have enough spares for new rifle or two!

Or you could go

Blake
[subject]
Wednesday, January 15, 2020, 14:05 (1534 days ago) @ WB

To Sprinco website and calculate the power factor of the load you want to shoot. Order the right guide rod and be done. Nothing to ware out in your lifetime and no crazy heavy recoil spring to beat the slide up with. Just saying

You are so practical, and usually right.

WB
[subject]
Thursday, January 16, 2020, 17:43 (1533 days ago) @ Blake

- No text -