1911 10mm project....

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, January 08, 2020, 11:27 (1578 days ago)

I bought a AMT Javelina 5" 10mm from Doug. He gave me a great deal and I liked coon fingering it beside my recliner in the evenings. Seemed it has lots of shooting potential. Sort of like a cobby Gold Cup, flat rib slide with adj. sights. etc.

Researching the 10 I ordered some parts. Decided on a re-hab spring kit (all springs inclusive) with "standard" .45 weight springs. Also I ordered a square bottom firing pin retaining plate. Wanted stainless but only the blue was flat topped like I needed with the rear sight cut-out. But I got a rounded stainless on the way, I'll have to grind it to fit. They require fitting anyway. I also found that it is suggested a very snug fit on the right mortise in the back of the slide to lock the extractor in place. References stated it stops the movement and rotation enhancing reliability. I am currently retaining the full length guide rod and plug with a buffer system. The flat wire spring needed either a different spring stop or the FL rod. I just ordered a kit with 18.5# round stock spring.

[image]

My hope is that manually cocking the hammer (I still want a 23-25# main hammer spring) I can manipulate the slide to chamber a round. As is I really, really, can't chamber a round without great difficulty. If my hand slipped with my thin old man skin, I might need stitches! We'll see how it goes. It's very emasculating. If this does not work I'll have to move it and stick to Glocks.

[image]

Got an email from Lee Precision today. The 10mm dies...

Huey
[subject]
Wednesday, January 08, 2020, 11:39 (1578 days ago) @ WB

I ordered to size bullets down to .400" have shipped out.

The webpage said 6-8 weeks, took 11 days. I'll get busy and make us some bullets.

You know there is also a lot of variation in

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, January 08, 2020, 11:52 (1578 days ago) @ Huey

.30-30 brass. Case thickness, rim thickness etc. Batches, lots, brands, type .30-30, .375 Win. .38-55, age. It can cause you problems. My cobbled ammo initial problem was due to me trying to make straight walled 0.423" cartridges. The .400 GNR is tapered, from 0.423 to .418" at the neck, at least mine is. Depending on the bullet you use the case wall thickness at the neck is limited to about 0.0085-0.009". If you have problems check your brass and adjust accordingly. Like Gary mentioned, you can re-run loaded rounds through the FL sizer in a pinch. Ain't it fun though?!

Rule #1: If you have a problem it's probably something you did.

Old R-P .30-30 Win.
[image]

Of course, I'm doing this for the 38-40s...

Huey
[subject]
Wednesday, January 08, 2020, 12:16 (1578 days ago) @ WB

I've got a factory TC Contender Barrel 12" and two Reeder built guns. Gary currently doing me another one and plan on a Reeder SRH 38-40 later this Spring.

Also, have a 401 GNR...

No shortage of need for solid 10mm bullets...

maybe this will help

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, January 08, 2020, 12:21 (1578 days ago) @ WB

Very cool! Was that the .400 Special?

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, January 08, 2020, 12:39 (1578 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

Do you actually have that reamer?

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, January 08, 2020, 13:12 (1578 days ago) @ WB

I have a cylinder I’d like hogged out to that!

I dumped that idea 10 years ago after doing

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, January 08, 2020, 14:14 (1578 days ago) @ WB

one piece of brass to those specs. I always measure case capacity first before deciding to go with it or dump it before I spend a lot more money.The case was a 41 mag slightly tapered down to 40 caliber. It had a 12 degree taper and the case capacity was not enough to go ahead with the design.

I dumped that idea and went with the 44 Mag case necked to 40 caliber as the case capacity was considerably more than it's nearest competitor. That became the 401 GNR. I always save my original drawings to compare any new ideas with the old stuff to see if it actually is worth doing. From the time I draw up the specs, send them to David Manson, have a rough cut reamer done, chamber a barrel or cylinder to the new cartridge, test it for any problems that might crop up, like backing out, bulging brass etc, get a new finisher reamer made, chamber a barrel or cylinder, get 3 fired cases made, send them to Hornady, and have 12 sets of dies made, I will have taken around 1 year of my life,and spent between $2500 and $3000. That is for each GNR or custom caliber we have. So figure $3000 times 70 custom cartridges and you have almost a quarter million dollars I have blown in the last 35 years on custom cartridges, and reason enough to have me sent to the funny farm.

I remember you having 3-4, all at once, going too.

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, January 08, 2020, 15:29 (1578 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

You have pretty much covered all the bases and have plenty of overlap. Time to refine.

if you mean 3 or 4 series, when we moved

gary reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, January 08, 2020, 20:14 (1577 days ago) @ WB

here in early '94 we had 2 series, the Tombstone Classic and the original Black Widow. Within a year we added the Doc Holiday Classic. We added 3 or 4 more cowboy guns thru the next year or so until we had around 30 series of cowboy guns. Of course the cowboy action shooting games were really getting a foothold in the shooting sports about that time.

If you meant we had 3 or 4 proprietary calibers then you are right there too. We had the 41 GNR, the 450 GNR, the 338 GNR and the 378 GNR. We were going to Africa, Australia, Alaska or New Zealand back then to to "field test" the calibers.

It seems like just a year or so ago, but it was 26 years ago. In that 26 years I have been blessed to be able to take those trips and equally blessed to have you Misfits around to keep me pointed in the right direction.

Yours must be totally different than my 6"

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Wednesday, January 08, 2020, 11:55 (1578 days ago) @ WB

Javelina. I just did a full action job on it and it worked like a champ. We never changed anything in it and really never needed to.

I’m not joking, 30# easy to pull slide.

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, January 08, 2020, 12:40 (1578 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

Is that FL guide like yours?