45 super

Rex
[subject]
Monday, January 06, 2020, 12:03 (1566 days ago)

I recently purchased a Star Megastar. If you are not familiar with these, it is a very well made semi-auto pistol from near the end of that company's run that was designed to handle the 10mm from the get-go. It was also available in 45acp. It is about the size and weight of a small anvil. Very well made though. This one is in 45, so I'm thinking it should handle 45 Super. Maybe with a stiffer spring to slow the slide down a little. (Hold my beer and watch this). Anybody care to offer an opinion?

I have had the same thought

Greg M.
[subject]
Monday, January 06, 2020, 12:09 (1566 days ago) @ Rex

which means you aren't totally crazy -- or, alternately, are totally crazy. I have one of these pieces as well and it is comically overengineered for standard-pressure .45 ACP, not that I have ever run anything else through it.

45 super

Rex
[subject]
Monday, January 06, 2020, 12:40 (1566 days ago) @ Greg M.

Good to know I'm not the only one.

You can play a little without doing much

WB
[subject]
Monday, January 06, 2020, 14:44 (1566 days ago) @ Rex

But there are some dynamics at play you may not know about. A heavy spring does more to force the barrel up into the locking recesses more consistently. It also slams the gun back into battery and hammers the slide release catch hard on the last round.

As I mentioned a while back about the 1911 10mm I have been reading how the firing pin stop plate and a heavy hammer spring do more to lessen the battering of the slide and frame than a heavy recoil spring. The original GI pin plate was flat bottomed but the soldiers were having some trouble racking the slides from hammer down. It was the Govt. that chose to add a bevel that was NOT a J.M. Browning design.

You can go to a slower powder and lighter bullet and jazz up the old ACP round considerably over the old stand by. See what max ACP loads do and then if all is well, inch up toward lite .45 Super from there. I'd really look at the case web support in the barrel where the feed ramp is. That's where guns blow as they open a bit prematurely. You want as much of that area in the chamber as possible. You can work up a bit on the loads but watch for any case bulges in that unsupported web area. Measure more than you can see with your eyes too. Other than that Wolff will make you any weight of spring you desire. I have a 1911 10mm spring that must be 35# I'll give you!

Alcorn had a Rowland case blow and I was standing next to him. Most went downward in the magazine but some gas shot right down the slide rails and directly into his face. Thankfully he is adamant about wearing god shooting glasses and was not injured. The gun was not harmed either, just a stuck case. I'd not want to be close to that again either. Personally I have blown primers and busted a barrel link once. Curiosity killed the cat.

45 super

Rex
[subject]
Monday, January 06, 2020, 15:18 (1566 days ago) @ WB

The issue of support at the feed ramp is the most serious thing to me. That is why they make super brass with a thicker web. I have read that if you use too heavy a spring it will do exactly as you say. In addition, some have used a stronger magazine spring, because slide speed misses the round coming up. I have a 1911 with a Rowland conversion also. It is very accurate and soft shooting with the comp,but twice it has ripped the case exactly in half, ejecting the head and leaving the front half in the barrel. upon disassembly, it falls out. I am wondering if I should try and fit a longer link to delay unlocking. It already has a 24# spring and is a pain to assemble.

Interesting about the mag springs I have

WB
[subject]
Monday, January 06, 2020, 16:10 (1566 days ago) @ Rex

read about that condition but I've never had to mess with it. Blake made a nice Super conversion on a 1911 and I did a Rowland/Super on a Glock 21. Blake used a very nice multi-spring purpose built recoil system. I used a 26 lb. spring that is not all that bad in the Glock with no link. We both used chambered muzzle brakes and special long throated chambers like Weatherby rifles. This helps a bunch! I leaned a bit too much on my reamer and my gun is uber throated! LOL

The Glock flexes and torques but runs fine with ACP, Super, or Rowland brass. I don't shoot it all that much in Super configuration but it is neat to have 13 shots at that power level. It is very accurate too, given the coarse sights. I have 10mm barrels too and can almost equal it in that platform to 230 gr. using cast bullets, plus I get 2 more shots.

[image]

Plain base gas check on a 200 gr. Target bullet, 1400 fps using Longshot. No problem.
[image]

I also have a .451 Detonics conversion kit

Greg M.
[subject]
Monday, January 06, 2020, 14:12 (1566 days ago) @ Greg M.

From the 1980s in NOS condition other than that the foam rubber packing has decayed into a black sludgy colloid. Will build a custom .451 Detonics 1911 one of these days, I swear.

Had one in a series 70 for a long time.

Amede
[subject]
Monday, January 06, 2020, 14:20 (1566 days ago) @ Greg M.

Good shooting upgrade.

You say "Had"

Greg M.
[subject]
Monday, January 06, 2020, 14:23 (1566 days ago) @ Amede

Just curious. Why did it go (if it went) down the road?

Sold it for something else, what it was I have no idea

Amede
[subject]
Monday, January 06, 2020, 15:19 (1566 days ago) @ Greg M.

- No text -

I had an LAR Grizzly that I liked so tended to

Amede
[subject]
Monday, January 06, 2020, 15:20 (1566 days ago) @ Amede

carry that anyways.

Thanks for the response

Greg M.
[subject]
Monday, January 06, 2020, 21:33 (1565 days ago) @ Amede

Was just wondering if there was some reason the S70/.451 proved to be a toxic combination.

I have reached the age where "what it was I have no idea" is an adequate excuse for anything and everything, at least in my mind -- what's left of it.

LOL at you shifting to the Grizzly. When in doubt, upgrade!

Actually had no issues, friend of mine wanted it more

Amede
[subject]
Tuesday, January 07, 2020, 07:18 (1565 days ago) @ Greg M.

than I wanted to keep it. He was the one who sold it to me originally. Good shooting gun, it really liked the 200-220 gr for accuracy if I remember right. 230 gr FMJ 45 ACP shot fine and it would work fine with those. It did not feed reliably the 185 gr JHP 45 ACP as the springs were a bit stiffer and you wouldnt always get a clean ejection. I think the reason I sold it was to finish paying for a UBW in 475 Linebaugh that Gary built me in 2003?

45 super

Rex
[subject]
Monday, January 06, 2020, 14:34 (1566 days ago) @ Greg M.

That 451 Detonics would be cool on one of Gary's builds.
I have heard of Ace Custom before, but I cannot find anything
on the internet that is current. I am in Texas, if anyone knows if they are still around, I would visit.

Is Ace Custom of Kerrville, TX still in business?

Greg M.
[subject]
Monday, January 06, 2020, 14:08 (1566 days ago) @ Rex

I thought they were the progenitor of the .45 SuperĀ®.

Link for history of the 45 super

Blake
[subject]
Monday, January 06, 2020, 19:49 (1565 days ago) @ Rex

Thanks for the link

Greg M.
[subject]
Monday, January 06, 2020, 22:29 (1565 days ago) @ Blake

I learn something new every day -- a reason to get out of bed in the morning. Today it was the .45 NAACO. Who knows why the Canucks thought they needed a super hot service autopistol round in the '50s? The War on Moose?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAACO_Brigadier