I got some clarification today on my confusion

WB
[subject]
Saturday, December 28, 2019, 09:57 (1589 days ago)

I WAS going to use some LilGun in the .350 but now have decided against it. It acts flighty sometimes for no good reason. I don't need any extra aggravation so I'll use it where I know it does best. It's a good .450 powder.

I was confusing the data between LilGun and 1680 in my head. My load for the 350 I used was from the Accurate Arms book for the .357 Maximum and a 200 gr. I knew I didn't load it hot. No matter what manuals say the 350 is nothing more than a rimless hermaphrodite .357 Max. I used the starting load at 27 gr., Max. was 30 and I don't think that will fit in an AR mag. My loads ran 2050 and that was what I wanted from the 16". 1680 powder is almost like dust and very dense, a case holds lots of it. Fluffy stuff minimizes capacity volume differences. I know some guys don't like LilGun but it has it's place.

I'm going to ignore all the hype and useless articles. I've never see such neutral and worthless drivel in some magazines. I learn absolutely nothing from the piece, why read it, makes me angry I wasted my time. Back in the day articles showed you how to DO something, stimulated creativity. Some of it was dangerous! A man knew his limits and took responsibility. I'm soldering on.

I'm maxed out, right where I wanted to be (200+ gr./ 2000-2100 fps). Not a seam busting load but about all it will hold, perfect application. Previous pun intended.
[image]

Have to disagree with you on that one...

Huey
[subject]
Saturday, December 28, 2019, 10:27 (1589 days ago) @ WB

Of course, I'm ignorant in AR loading.

But, do have a 24" Custom Shop 357 Maximum Contender Carbine.

Lil Gun Powder is simply magical in it. Velocity far exceeds any other powder...

Yeah, a gas operated gun opens some varibles

WB
[subject]
Saturday, December 28, 2019, 10:40 (1589 days ago) @ Huey

I don't fully understand. I've been reading about buffer weights, gas system lengths, (Pistol, Mid-length, Carbine, Rifle) etc. Lots to it.

I read a 1/2 - 1 oz. heavier buffer lets the port stay open longer and lets the gas system blow all the gas out better. But you don't want to over do it. Also, of all things, my little 9mm blow back pistol AR takes the heaviest buffer of all at double the spec weight of one for a .50 BW! Very interesting.

Bottom line is function and accuracy. It will make a fine little play gun and deer/hog shooter.

It's funny, I don't have any .350 reloading dies...

WB
[subject]
Saturday, December 28, 2019, 11:23 (1589 days ago) @ WB

So I'm sizing with carbide .38 specials to about 3/4 FL. The web area is bigger and wouldn't fit. Then I de-prime with a universal die, everyone needs one of those from Hornady. My belling, needed for cast bullets, is via LEE universal expander. Seating has been a combination of dies depending on my bullet, the 200 gr. I use a .358 Win. rifle seater (I may shorten the die about 1/4"). Shorter bullets I can use the .38 Special. I sometimes turn in the remnant of case flair with the .38 Special crimper. Again maybe if I shorten the .358 Win. rifle die it will add versatility.

FYI - some mad experimenting.