Green Stamps! Blakely had them beat.

Jim Taylor
[subject]
Friday, December 27, 2019, 17:47 (1553 days ago)

In the early 70's in phoenix gas got down to 11 cents a gallon at times. The Blakely stations gave stamps with your purchase that you could redeem (when got enough of them) for dinner plates, water glasses, pitchers etc with a desert motif .. cactus and such. They even gave helicopter rides to those who saved up enough stamaps.

I remembered S&H Green, Quality and Top Value Stamps..

Huey
[subject]
Friday, December 27, 2019, 17:53 (1553 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

Many times they were used for Christmas at our house. People ask why I work so much and it's simple. I was raised to and I think it a far better option.

Remember our towels and such came in boxes of laundry detergent. Dishes in boxes of oatmeal, etc.

Good times in my memories. I hear dumb asses say they don't want their kids to have to work. It usually turns out that way too...

Well said.

SPB
[subject]
Friday, December 27, 2019, 18:54 (1553 days ago) @ Huey

- No text -

speaking of dumb asses, I had a friend back in

gary reeder
[subject]
Friday, December 27, 2019, 20:45 (1552 days ago) @ Huey

Tennessee who had a wife and a couple of kids. They were always hurting for money. He would work at a job until he found out there were some Mexicans or black guys working on the job with him, then he would quit. Hard core racist. His wife was offered a good job at a new car manufacturing plant opening up outside Nashville. He wouldn't let her take the job as he said no wife of his would go to work. A woman's job was in the home. Last I heard, several years later, she had dumped his lazy ass and gone her own way. Best thing she could have done.

I worked for the oil companies!

BlackPete
[subject]
Friday, December 27, 2019, 19:37 (1553 days ago) @ Jim Taylor

I remember! And probably still have plates, glasses, toy trucks, etc.
Especially the gold trim dinner plates.
Good old days! Pete