So I'm having fun with the .350 Legend...

WB
[subject]
Friday, December 27, 2019, 10:50 (1587 days ago)

and I keep reading how the .357 Maximum guys are pissing all over it, I can't really understand. It's easily 10% more capacity, rimless, oddly a slightly smaller bullet diameter, but what's not to like. Most guns it is set up for are so much stronger than what we used to shoot in our old Contenders.

I got really good performance first try with 200 gr. bullets and some 158 gr. SWC. I was happy. My powders and bullet weights were not exactly in the published data so I just used old .357 Maximum data like I shot in my old 1974 TC. Usually with the slow powders you run out of room way before you get signs of pressure, as long as you don't compress it.

Pardon the ugly old attempt at painting the 215 gr. RNGC. I shoot ugly bullets first so no one will see them again.
[image]

SO I finally found some published data for my powder and bullet range! I was like 3 grains over the published maximum for the .350 Legend! WTH?!!! A multi-lug locked breach AR is light years ahead of an old TC, bolt guns too. MY loads shot fine and were not "hot" by any standard I go by. So for the last 40 years I've been shooting 60,000 psi+ .357 Maximums?!!! Evidentially everyone else has too.

First they get goofy with the bullet diameter and piss everyone off. Then for the next act they load it 10% under the smaller capacity .357 Maximum. No wonder the factory ammo was not spec'd that much hotter than the 1907 .351 Winchester! I wondered about that. Does it have something to do with legalization of stink weed? I'd love to slap around some engineers and think-tank nerds. What happened to that generation? Next, I'll finally buy some 350 reloading dies.

BTW I actually loaded a round with no primer. I noticed it after I dribbled AA1680 all over my lap. (forgot to mention the 145 gr. FMJ factory ammo has military type crimped primers - Another step I don't need to deal with. Why?!) When I pulled the bullet the check stuck. An old Indian trick; drill (no powder remember), insert screw, run up through press, pinch with pliers, and there you go. NO I did not re-use the check.

[image]
[image]

I checked a CVA and Ruger American a few days back...

Huey
[subject]
Friday, December 27, 2019, 11:03 (1587 days ago) @ WB

Both have .355" bores. That would be no issue as I have a .355" Lee Size Die.

Will be interesting to see how this one progresses.

No interests unless Ruger makes me a Mini 14...

I'm 99.9% sure they will, got to.

WB
[subject]
Friday, December 27, 2019, 11:14 (1587 days ago) @ Huey

Wonder what's up with the military crimp primers?! That's really odd to me, an extra step for sure. Maybe a police and prison market? Foreign military maybe?

Not many know the Mini-14 IS a military issued weapon, AC556.

Double check me, but .357 Max. is loaded lots hotter.

I'm 99% plus into single shot rifles, so no benefit to me...

Huey
[subject]
Friday, December 27, 2019, 11:31 (1587 days ago) @ WB

Don't own an AR and only one Mini-14 in 223 Remington.

Got several friends that are really into ARs and think I'm loco for buying guns that only hold one round.

Guess we all have our likes and dislikes...

the reason a lot of guys (myself included) are

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, December 27, 2019, 11:11 (1587 days ago) @ WB

not happy with the 350 legend is we don't like rip offs. Just like the 300 Blackout is a total rip off of J.D. Jones' 300 Whisper. The 350 legend is a rip off of the 357 max. And either me or you can't weigh powder. The 350 Legend is less than 1 grain more case capacity than the 357 Max. And that is for damn sure not 3%. Another thing most older gun guys don't like is lies. Just like all the lies about the Winchester Short magnums, and the lies about the 6.5 Creedmore being a great elk cartridge and the cartridge shooting flat out to 800 yards.and so on. Just like these, the 350 Legend is loaded with lies. They are saying the fastest straight wall cartridge ever. WTF??? And that it is the perfect elk cartridge because it shoots so fast and so flat??? Gimme a break!

So yes there are a lot of gun guys that are pissing on the 350 Legend, why? we don't like lies. We don't like rip offs of other cartridges. And we don't like bull shit gun writers that"stretch the truth" about what the cartridge does. There are a lot of great cartridges out there without all the BS. Plus again just like the 300 Blackout, and the 6.5 Creedmore there is (my opinion only) a lot of $$ being passed around to promote the 350 Legend. So why are we pissing on the 350 Legend? Anyone that believes in honesty knows the answer to that.

I have to agree with GNR. I am an older

charlie A.
[subject]
Friday, December 27, 2019, 12:30 (1587 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

gentleman (wife won't agree with that)and have known Gary since his radio days in Nashville. Like he said there is so much BS in the gun magazines and on the internet. Another cartridge I am already sick of hearing about is the new 277 Sig Fury. It really isn't out to the public yet, I think, and already every internet gun rag is screaming about how it is the bestest and greatest ever. And I know for the next 6 months that is all we will hear about. All the BS (also known as hype) is sickening. And I don't know who to blame. But like GNR said the gun rags don't have any problem "stretching the truth".

thanks Charlie. And for what it is worth

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, December 27, 2019, 12:44 (1587 days ago) @ charlie A.

if I sounded way too negative with my post above, I apologize. But lies and snakes in the grass bother me. Nuff said.

and yes Charlie, all I am seeing these days is hype

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, December 27, 2019, 12:45 (1587 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

on the 277 Sig Fury. And I am already sick of it.

I read a couple things lately about our society,

WB
[subject]
Friday, December 27, 2019, 13:44 (1587 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

this last couple of generations. It relates to education of the last 30 yrs. or so, being so selective, and putting a narrative twist on history. The kids never learned about their past, no sound true history or interest. They have now evolved into a generation that does not "look back", they simply live in the now. They have little interest in past history, the accomplishments of others. They are only focused on the now and themselves.

I can see some of that for sure.

My frustration at all the articles with no reference to what was done so much similar, in the past. Their ideas are all original, no one is as innovative as them. I really think this line of mentality has crept into, not only the media, but even our sporting world and the publications. Of course driven by the almighty dollar, marketing, and willing people with "itching ears" that will believe anything on the internet. Or print, if they would actually read. What worked last year is no good this year, you need all new innovative stuff.

Correct.

SPB
[subject]
Friday, December 27, 2019, 13:47 (1587 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

But, no one will take responsibility for anything...

Huey
[subject]
Friday, December 27, 2019, 13:55 (1587 days ago) @ WB

And that is learned. Every generation has done exactly what they were taught by the prior generation. Then it gets blamed on society, t.v. or the internet.

People are their own worst enemy and just don't admit it...

as a very small "for instance" look at our camo

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Friday, December 27, 2019, 14:08 (1587 days ago) @ WB

clothing line. You can't have last years camo if you want to be successful in the field. You absolutely have to have the "new and improved" camo if you want to do well hunting. And don't worry about it being twice the price as last years camo line. I am sure it is worth it.

I get flyers in the gun shop from two or three camo clothing companies where they show camo pants at $600 a pair and jackets at the same price. Heavy coats at $850, Boots at $300 and so on. And because they have a nice color flyer with some moron like Boddington in it then the young crowd feel they have to have that brand of camo.

And it is not just our camo. Look at the women's wear line up. Because some faggot in Paris says this is what is in vogue at some fancy Paris fashion show then the ladies have to have that no matter if it is the most ridiculous looking thing on earth.

It is a real shame the direction this country is heading.

A gentleman

steve todd
[subject]
Friday, December 27, 2019, 12:46 (1587 days ago) @ charlie A.

Is a man who crawls on all 4 and leaves 5 trails.
I heard that at a checkpoint while racing a hare scrambles event back about 1970. It stuck with me for some reason,,,,i’m no gentleman, by any standard.

I agree.

SPB
[subject]
Friday, December 27, 2019, 13:46 (1587 days ago) @ charlie A.

- No text -

444 Marlin beats it with speed, overlooked the 444 they did.

Bucky
[subject]
Friday, December 27, 2019, 13:32 (1587 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

True

Sid R
[subject]
Friday, December 27, 2019, 22:20 (1587 days ago) @ Bucky

Everyone re inventing the paper clip.

Agree, total ripoff.

Sid R
[subject]
Friday, December 27, 2019, 22:16 (1587 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

- No text -

I really like my Ruger American ranch rifle in 350 Legend 1

Terry
[subject]
Friday, December 27, 2019, 11:31 (1587 days ago) @ WB

1 whitetail buck a 2 hogs all 1 shot kills and very little recoil.

Sure! It’s basically a rimless Maximum

WB
[subject]
Friday, December 27, 2019, 12:13 (1587 days ago) @ Terry

Which is a great cartridge for single shots, it’s got a nice rim. Too middle length for lever guns. It’s a shame about all the add hype and goofy marketing trickery. I see it for what I want to use it. It’s easy for me to ignore the all engineering designed to force you to fall in line. I go rogue with it.

It’s a great little number for deer and hog, just like the Maximum. And .351 Winchester before that.