New Ruger that I'd love to own..BUT

John W
[subject]
Thursday, December 26, 2019, 07:04 (1585 days ago)

I obtained an email from Ruger which outlines their latest offerings and some stuff from their custom shop. I drooled over what I believe would be a great small game handgun.

The Ruger Mk4 22 auto with a 10 inch barrel. Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd love to own one for small game and small varmint hunting BUT I live in Massachusetts. It is not available to me in this state. Irritates the hell out of me.
https://www.ruger.com/products/markIVTarget/models.html

I have a MKII that I love..

Gus S.
[subject]
Thursday, December 26, 2019, 08:11 (1585 days ago) @ John W

.. killed a ton of little things with it. However, I have been eyeballing a single 6 in 32H&R or 17 cal. Something like that might get you by.

NEW RUGERS

JT
[subject]
Thursday, December 26, 2019, 08:16 (1585 days ago) @ John W

THE OBVIOUS QUESTION IS WHY DO YOU STAY THERE?[image][image][image][image]?

Some family issues.

John W
[subject]
Thursday, December 26, 2019, 09:26 (1585 days ago) @ JT

- No text -

for small hunting I really like the long barreled

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, December 26, 2019, 10:44 (1585 days ago) @ JT

Ruger 22. Unpteen years ago I bought one of the AMT 8" barrels that fits right on the MK 1 or MK 2. It was already grooved for tip off rings and that made it even more practical for small game hunting. i put a 4X leupold on it and have used it ever since. That was in '79 or '80 and it is still one of my favorites. I plan on picking up one of the 10" blue Ruger MK 4 in the 10" version. Now if they would just come out with a 10" 22 Magnum pistol, we would have it made.
[image]

I had a gold trigger Browning, 9" like that

WB
[subject]
Thursday, December 26, 2019, 10:49 (1585 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

it had a pick-a-tinny rib all along the top, making scope mounting easy. That was the late 1980's. We got chicken egg size groups at 100 yds. easily. It had a little better grip feel than the Ruger, to me.

I have one of the Browning Buckmark Bullseye

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, December 26, 2019, 11:13 (1585 days ago) @ WB

22 LRs that is another of my favorites. I was told that the Bullseye model is fairly rare as only a few were made. No idea if that is true or not but I really don't care. I got it for small game hunting and it does very well at that.
[image]

I have two Buckmarks with long Tactical Solutions Barrels..

Huey
[subject]
Thursday, December 26, 2019, 11:44 (1585 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

That shoot about 2" at 75 yards. I've never tried a Ruger, but some of those new ones sure look great.

One model a wood forend but mine did not

WB
[subject]
Thursday, December 26, 2019, 11:58 (1585 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

I think the one I had was called a "Silhouette" model. Both had full top scope mount rails. It was a big new thing back in the late 80's.

I see you got the prissy factory stocks too. Finger grooves do ensure a more consistent grip on a handgun. I get vertical stringing of my groups when my grip varies. Goerg discussed the concept and touted "target" type stocks that did the very same thing with finger grooves and thump rests. I think he was on to something. That's a fine hunting rig!

WHY "HAD" INSTEAD OF"HAVE"?

JT
[subject]
Thursday, December 26, 2019, 11:31 (1585 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

A good school buddy now has it...

WB
[subject]
Thursday, December 26, 2019, 11:39 (1585 days ago) @ JT

He worried me to the point I traded it to him. No doubt I was enticed by something new and shiny. I too had a AMT .22 "Lightning" like Gary. It was a 5.5" stainless. They came with factory Pachmayr grips, the top of the receiver was grooved for those .22 pinch type mounts. It was great, and one of the few handguns that came ready to mount optics, back then. they had a better aftermarket trigger too with over travel stop.

It was literally a "Stainless" .22 Ruger clone. I remember they also marketed a 10/22 rifle stainless clone. Magnum Research does still. How is that? I've never read of the agreement they have with Ruger. Magnum research actually markets a 10/22 Magnum, .22 MRF, where Ruger dropped it. Surely you have some inside info. I figure Ruger/Pine Tree makes all the frames anyway.

from what I was told back when the AMT

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, December 26, 2019, 12:12 (1585 days ago) @ WB

clones were out, Ruger's patents were still in effect. Remember, that was almost 40 years ago. Those patents are apparently not still in effect so all is wide open for other companies. AMT was forced to drop their 10-22 clone and the MK.1 clone due the patents still being in force back then.

Several years back, '06 or '07 I hunted in New Zealand for Red Stag and a few other critters. In the evenings we hunted Possums with silenced Roger 10-22s using spotlights. I was told they has some 22 Magnum 10-22s but I never saw any. We hunted in Ford pick ups that were made by Mazda and were the Ford Falcon model. They had Ford Falcon sedans, pick ups and station wagons, all made by Mazda. Anyway the Ruger 10-22s were the favorite guns for night time Possum hunting. And these were not like our opossums. Same name but a different critter. Possum fur is a big business over there with sweaters, gloves, jackets and such being made with possum down fur.
The possums come in several colors. Here are a few of them.
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

If you saw the movie Gremlins, the Possum looks exactly like a Gremlin.
[image]

Also on the night time hunts we shot a lot of Wallabys, which are like midget Kangaroo. They are really good eating, as is the Kangaroo. The dog sniffing the Wallabys is a Dingo brought over from Australia as a pup.