Sooty 500 gnr cases

Josh t
[subject]
Wednesday, December 25, 2019, 16:54 (1589 days ago)

Was out working up a load for my 500 gnr using hs-6. Velocity was where I wanted but the cases came out very sooty and just covered in black. The cases came out very easy and no indication of high pressure that I could see. Just wondering if that's normal for hs-6 at higher levels( took it to 17.0 @ 1153 avg 3 shots with a 375 gr cast.) Or do I need to use a different powder.

Also shot some imr 4227 which came out clean. Is this normal with hs-6?

Pressure very low and cases don't expand to seal...

Huey
[subject]
Wednesday, December 25, 2019, 17:06 (1589 days ago) @ Josh t

The chambers. Very common in 45 Colt and other low pressure cartridges...

And...That's a very sturdy case which worsens...

Huey
[subject]
Wednesday, December 25, 2019, 17:10 (1589 days ago) @ Huey

That issue. Thicker and stronger the case the more pressure it takes to seal it off.

Should I abandon hs-6 and stick with 4227

Josh t
[subject]
Wednesday, December 25, 2019, 17:24 (1589 days ago) @ Huey

Or keep going up with the hs-6? At 17gr and no signs of pressure that I could tell.

I've never loaded for that cartridge...

Huey
[subject]
Wednesday, December 25, 2019, 17:28 (1589 days ago) @ Josh t

But, higher pressure will usually solve that problem pronto.

I can't recommend any particular loads though. Maybe someone with experience loading that round can weigh in.

When I have that issue, I generally go to a faster powder. But, pressures can jump quick with those. Use caution...

Thanks for the help.

Josh t
[subject]
Wednesday, December 25, 2019, 17:30 (1589 days ago) @ Huey

- No text -

What is the goal for your load?

Abin Sur
[subject]
Wednesday, December 25, 2019, 19:13 (1589 days ago) @ Josh t

For the light easy shooting stuff, Trail Boss gives great "pop" load that are pleasant to shoot yet are still quite effective in larger calibers. The powder is plentiful and reasonably priced. Plus it can give full cases (uncompressed) that are safe, and cannot be double charged. The other powder that give good promise ( just started working with it ) Vhitavouri ( henceforth VV) Tin Star. Jury is still out on it.

As for HS-6, there are many who use it with great success. John Linebaugh being one of them. I shy away from it as it can generally be double charged and it has low charge densities. ( lots of room in the case ) I have used VV 110 in moderate loads, with low S.D.'s. Being a stick type single based powder it lights well and fills the cases where possible double charges cannot happen. IMR 4227 works also, but tends to give better S.D. with more robust charges, as does the old standby Alliant 2400

As for full house loads, I prefer Hodgdon 110 or Win 296, now they are the exact same powder.

Sooty cases aren't a problem if the load is consistent, they just are "dirty" to handle and you may have to clean your chambers more often.

Just looking for a load about 1000-1100

Josh t
[subject]
Wednesday, December 25, 2019, 19:34 (1589 days ago) @ Abin Sur

With a 375gr cast with manageable recoil amd decent groups. The recoil of either loads I can handle but I have a very hard time getting good groups. 6"+ at 25 with open sites.

I probably will end up putting a scope on it, but for now it's open sites.

I see HS-6 is between Unique and Blue Dot / 2400 etc.

WB
[subject]
Thursday, December 26, 2019, 09:50 (1588 days ago) @ Josh t

in burn rate. I'm a little surprised it has not pressured up to seal at that speed. I bet just a little more would do it. I have some .510 GNR Herco loads I shot, closer to your HS-6. However I don't recall the "soot" factor. I get lots of sooty loads in .45 Colt for some reason. Never mind it much, most of my loads are light loads in differing old guns.

I sound like a broken record but Trail Boss is fun for reduced loads. Not very flexible, it is what it is. Going up or down does not really change velocity, only tweaks accuracy. Just do not compress it. Nasty little flat doughnuts everywhere.

I lean on 231/HP38, Titegroup and Unique in big cases...

Huey
[subject]
Thursday, December 26, 2019, 09:57 (1588 days ago) @ WB

Never worried about double charging. Never really understood the concern anyways. I load a lot of 38-40, 44-40, 45 Colt, etc. So, it's something I've always watched for.