It goes in cycles, but it's kind of fun. The AR stuff

WB
[subject]
Thursday, November 14, 2019, 07:38 (1587 days ago)

I used to put them together back in the 1980's when it was a little exotic. One does not "build" them, they simply put them together, assemble. It does not really take expensive special tools, some fair working knowledge of the system is a big plus, for quick success. Now they are so cheap and modular it's hard to resist. I think the platform will do more good than harm in keeping our country armed and free. There are simply too many and too many people who enjoy the freedom and sport. I hope.

I'm ordering a side charging .350 upper. This will lead to be re-barreling a .30 cal. I have. The most underwhelming cartridge I've worked with in a while. Just could never get into it, myself. So If anyone wants a 16" stainless barrel I have one with lowish round count. The offerings I'm reviewing are 5.56, .224 Wylde, and .224 Valkyrie (?). I think the other .224 cal. upper will just be a fun shorty. I plan to try shooting 55 gr. cast, GC, painted, projectiles. Raw cast really, really, dirties up the system.

I also have a HBAR A2 that is fantastic for target shooting but the tube is so porky. I think I may rebarrel it to LW 20". It makes it handle so much better taking a pound off.

I did a 9mm pistol carbine and it is a delight for cheap fun plinking. I went with too short a barrel 4" with a 3" flash can. It's almost too short, risk getting a hand in front of it. A 8-10" with brake would have been better.

Roman pulls his hair that I'm not trendy, just pursuing what I like. Dad's more practical than tactical.

Any insights, tips, as to your AR play?

Play? Fun? as in ar(automatic rifle)..I like my 2 SMG's

Woody
[subject]
Thursday, November 14, 2019, 08:54 (1587 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

That's lots fo fun for a short whie! lol

WB
[subject]
Thursday, November 14, 2019, 13:49 (1586 days ago) @ Woody

I remember us guys shooting an original Ingram Mac-10 with a suppressor about a foot long. It had a little wire pull out sort of stock and a little strap to hold onto in the front about 3" from that short muzzle when the suppressor was off.

The Rate of fire was so fast, something like 1200 rpm? It was like dropping a double handful of brass on the ground all at once, each burst. If you worked at it you could get maybe 3 little bursts from the 25 rnd. .45 ACP mags. It was a beast.

Later we shot a copy of the S&W 76, something 760? Both were loose copies of the Swedish-K. They were 9mm and more fun to run, like what you see in movies. The all time favorite though was an original full sized UZI a friend owns. He paid lie $4400 for it and I thought he was nuts! No telling what it's worth now. In the 80's a dealer sample UZI was $650. It's a 9 but also registered in .22 with a conversion unit. It's big enough, heavy, and totally controllable, where you can do some serous work at distance. It also fired ONE shot on semi and is quite accurate, about 2" groups at 50 yds. No problem at all to dump a mag onto a feed sack at 50 yds. The others will do that at maybe 25 yds. It costs too much to practice a whole bunch bunch!

Teh .224 Wylde sounds Ok, just a different throat

WB
[subject]
Thursday, November 14, 2019, 14:49 (1586 days ago) @ WB

But that Valkyrie is some odd-ball off the 6.8 SPC case. Not anything I'd be interested in. I like the military 5.56 but might try that Wylde if it shoots it all.

the Wylde is, to me, just a gimmick. We have been

Gary Reeder
[subject]
Thursday, November 14, 2019, 14:56 (1586 days ago) @ WB

shooting 223 in our AR-15s since around 1965 or so. Military 5.56 was almost non existent as all of it was going to Viet Nam for our troops so all we had was 223, and it did fine. Never any problems. And for the over 50 years since then that we have been shooting 223 in the AR-15s we have had no problems. But now they are saying you can't shoot 223 in the AR-15, that you have to buy the Wylde barrel. And unfortunately a lot of young shooters are falling for it.

This place has barrels for around $50

WB
[subject]
Thursday, November 14, 2019, 19:02 (1586 days ago) @ Gary Reeder

5.56 and the .224 Wylde is the same price. If the Wylde has a better cast bullet throat I may try it for that purpose. I used to shoot 5.56 in my Mini-14 all the time. I've never came into enough .223 ammo to shoot any in a 5.56 AR.

I have a 224wylde upper. I don’t see any difference. It wa

Drdougrx
[subject]
Friday, November 15, 2019, 05:21 (1586 days ago) @ WB

a complete upper with a stainless barrel, free float hand guard, etc for $199.

BTW....ever think of a 6.8spc? I’m having great fun it.

Drdougrx
[subject]
Friday, November 15, 2019, 05:23 (1586 days ago) @ Drdougrx

- No text -

Yeah we did the Grendel a while back

WB
[subject]
Friday, November 15, 2019, 09:10 (1586 days ago) @ Drdougrx

The 6.8 makes sense if you need a little range. I’m ordering that .350 today. A perfect South woods caliber. I want to see if I can make it set up and bark. Painted SWC and the 200 gr. RCBS etc. it’s just a modern .351 WSL, so I’m not going into it blind. I hope the SAAMI guys didn’t booger the throat dimensions. My .300 had a very short throat which limited my fun some. Even short bullets I had to seat deep.

Had lots to do with the bullet ojive.

Mac-10

Alcorn
[subject]
Thursday, November 14, 2019, 16:46 (1586 days ago) @ WB

One July 4 years ago a friend brought all 3 mac-10's, 380, 9mm and 45 ACP. A women heard us shooting. She wanted to shoot, so we loaded the 9mm. she started to shoot and could NOT let go of the trigger. She defoliated the tree above her. I though it was going to go all the way over and started running. It ran out of ammo, thank god.

Just got a new barrel chambered in 30 TAC / 30 Herrett

Asa
[subject]
Thursday, November 14, 2019, 16:14 (1586 days ago) @ WB

One of those full circle type things. 30-30 began then 30 Remington (rimless 30-30) along came the 30 Herrett, 6.8 SPC based on the 30 Remington, so naturally trim a 6.8 SPC and run it through a 30 Herrett die. Suppose to put 500fps on the BlackOut, and in a 16" barrel equal the newer 30 Remington Auto from a 24" barrel. We'll see, mostly hoping for a mild recoiling deer rifle for my daughters.

Common domestic components, sounds fun.

WB
[subject]
Thursday, November 14, 2019, 19:24 (1586 days ago) @ Asa

- No text -