In the odds n' ends box I found a

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 11:09 (1588 days ago)

carbide .38 COLT sizer. A pretty exotic sounding die that no doubt cost some loot. However doing some checking the dimensions on a .38 COLT, long or short, are a nominal O.D. of 0.381", where as the .38 Special is 0.379". What's 0.002" between friends?

Now I have not yet tried it out yet, but I am surprised that they even make such a thing.

More for neck tension, wasn't the 38 colt a heeled bullet?

Asa
[subject]
Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 13:31 (1587 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Yes, the early ones were. It had a .38 bullet!

WB
[subject]
Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 14:01 (1587 days ago) @ Asa

Then it was switched to an inside case projectile and I guess that is were we get our .358" ".38" today. The heel bullet is a little messy with the waxy external lube and is more prone to damage. I have never loaded proper "heeled" bullets myself, but I have shot some SWC backwards in a .41 Colt to mimic a heeled bullet. They shot great!

They would use hollow base bullets to expand enough to catch

Asa
[subject]
Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 14:27 (1587 days ago) @ WB

the rifling. Some guys load and crimp then use the liquid ALOX to lubricate so not so messy. Yes when they began thru boring cylinders they were cylindrical and to groove size. This was puzzling as to why they didn't go ahead and use an inside lubricated bullet enlarge the brass and actually chamber for it? Perhaps the original cap and ball cylinders didnt allow enough material to be cut away? That's the only conclusion I can muster. Of course then we might've had a 375 magnum instead of 357.

Scotty, sent you a link

Asa
[subject]
Wednesday, November 13, 2019, 14:44 (1587 days ago) @ WB

- No text -