A well written, researched, interesting article.

WB
[subject]
Sunday, November 10, 2019, 11:58 (1591 days ago)

The actual origins of the current .40 S&W.

https://americanhandgunner.com/discover/the-40-story/

It also illustrates the sometimes frustrating existence of parallel development of an original idea. As Solomon mentioned, it's hard to have a true original idea, not to stop trying though. No matter how smart, vibrant, excited, innovative you may be it is highly likely someone else, completely unrelated, maybe even on the other side of the planet, may be working on the same thing. It appears it then becomes a process of money, politics, and ability to fill a marketable niche. While the article credits a couple fellows specifically, I see it as a bit crass to shrill sole responsibility. But that is a matter of opinion. I prefer to focus on the blessing of enjoying the success of other's efforts.

I HAVE LUNCH WITH JOHN FRENCH EVERY THIRD TUESDAY

JT
[subject]
Sunday, November 10, 2019, 12:08 (1591 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

I remember as a young lad

WB
[subject]
Sunday, November 10, 2019, 13:05 (1591 days ago) @ JT

when Mr. French was working at Guns & Ammo magazine for Mr. Petersen it was THE firearms enthusiast's top resource. At least from my impressionable young perspective. There was a French at TC, Ernie's dad. Are they related?

The G&E .40 Magnum was a "belted" round based upon the .224 Weatherby case, cut off, inside reamed, and corked with a Winchester .38-40 180 gr. JHP. It did the deed pushing it in excess of 1000 fps from a heavy spring Browning HP. What a bashing! So exotic for my young mind. I can't imagine the difficulty of feeding a belted round in a pistol magazine.

I can see more of the existence of the .40 S&W as a de-tune of the existing 10mm auto program. As mentioned there is a bit more to it than simply re-tubing a 9mm auto. But the conceptual notion of "hey lets shorten it to fit a 9mm mag" and see what it does has some logical merit.

To think the result is a ballistic twin of what took place some 100 yrs. earlier in downsizing the .45 Colt or .44/40. The .38 WCF was never touted to solve any particular issue other than having less recoil and still being able to get the job done, adequately. I see no true link with it and the .41 Colt other than the .403" bore barrels. So many rifles and carbines were chambered for it. Colt handguns, both SA and DA are the only domestic handguns I know of commonly sporting the round.

NOT RELATED AND I DON'T THINK HE WORKED AT G&A.

JT
[subject]
Sunday, November 10, 2019, 16:23 (1590 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

Yes, it was Howard French at G&A I think.

WB
[subject]
Sunday, November 10, 2019, 17:33 (1590 days ago) @ JT

- No text -

THAT IS CORRECT

JT
[subject]
Monday, November 11, 2019, 22:34 (1589 days ago) @ WB

- No text -

I still like my 40 S&W myself.... It matches the old 38-40..

Huey
[subject]
Sunday, November 10, 2019, 13:06 (1591 days ago) @ WB

Any my opinion of that one is well known. It has survived 145+ years, so the ballistics are pleasing to a few folks.

I'm particularly fond of my Reeder Trail Gun and Glock Longslide.

My Reeder Trail gun in .40 is a peach.

WB
[subject]
Sunday, November 10, 2019, 15:37 (1590 days ago) @ Huey

Huey is one of the few that understood why I wanted a .40 rather than 10mm. I seat the bullets long and just load 10 in my cheap brass. Buddies give me bags of the unloved stuff.

I also converted my Glock 21 (yes a .45) to shoot .40 S&W. Plus 10mm and even 9x19 Luger! Loved the S&W 4003 (alloy frame) and HK USP in .40. I still have a Kahr P40, boy it’s a slim handful! Think Colt 1903 but in .40 rather than .32!

I can’t say the .40 does anything exceptionally better than the rest but a 200 gr. Bullet at 1000 fps is plenty useful.

No surprise that I use the GT Bullets in my 10mm & 40 S&W

Huey
[subject]
Sunday, November 10, 2019, 16:36 (1590 days ago) @ WB

And sometimes the Berry's Hybrid HP. My Reeder 10mm TG shoots the 180 grn GT Hollow Point at 1100 fps at 25k psi using CFE Pistol Powder.

The 40 S&W does the same with the 160 grn GT Hollow Point using Longshot Powder.

That's stay 10-12k psi below max. These are the best woods packing guns I own.