Todd C
Penetration
Friday, September 20, 2019, 18:51

Cartridge: 38 WCF
Bullet: 280 grain WLNGC
Firearm: Custom Revolver 6.5" barrel
Powder: VV110 25.0 Grains ( not recommended )
Velocity: 1649 fps
Energy: 1691 FPE
TKO: 26.4
Penetration in wet paper 48"

Cartridge: 38 WCF
Bullet: 280 Grain WLNGC
Firearm: Custom Revolver 6.5" barrel
Powder: H4198 25.0 Grains ( cases fell by gravity from chambers)
Velocity: 1226
Energy: 935
TKO: 19.6
Penetration in same wet paper 47"

Difference of 45% increase in energy
Difference of 2% increase in penetration.

So it begs the question," Where did all my power go?"

Richard Fairburn of Police One magazine, assistant to Dr. Martin Fackler on the FBI standardization tests, finds that properly soaked newsprint is within a single percentage point of duplicating actual meat.

The purpose of the above is not to incite an argument, just stating the results of testing. The resultant depth of penetration in medium is nearly identical but does nothing for the account of increased energy. Richard Fairburn is mentioned as he has actual lab experience and is had a very unbiased attitude toward results and has done the correlation between soaked paper and meat.

Penetration does show that increased velocity doesn't actually increase penetration by the same margin as energy. However that does nothing for illustrating the stretching or tearing of tissue due to velocity or bullet shape, nor the resultant elusive "shock" that may or may not be transmitted to the animal.

The best thing I can tell you is this. Like real estate. Success is based on Location, location, location. Shooting around the edges is not equal to applying well placed shots in the vitals. So, deliver your shot to the cardiovascular plumbing (or electrical wiring if you choose) not the wastewater plumbing. Choose a load that shoots well, and that YOU can shoot well, and thus apply accurately and repeatedly if necessary.

When you do, you will enjoy a great trophy and a great table fare. The rest is great for musing on, but not a hill to die on. Shoot more, argue less, eat better.