MQ1
Saddle hunting thoughts....
Thursday, September 19, 2019, 20:25

I grew up in the midwest, and have tried just about every style of stand hunting common...hang on, climbers...homebuilt platforms in trees...you name it.

Each style of stand has its plusses and minuses...climbers are quick, but you are limited to straight trees...hang ons are sturdy and light, but take additional time to set up, and can ruin a good spot if hunted too much (or get stolen)...etc..

I bought a saddle to hunt this year mostly because I think it will be safer in the tree, as fast as a climber, but allow me the freedom to hunt from odd trees that would not work for a climber or hang-on. I don’t think it really minimalist, but it does cover the bases better than the other options if you like to hunt in many different areas and will not be hunting permanent stands.

To me, ambush hunting success is predicated on understanding the movements of deer in the woods, and putting yourself in a position for a clean shot. I bow hunt mostly, but have used a pistol when injury would not allow me to draw my bow.

I can’t lie...I’m looking forward to playing with the saddle this season.

MQ1