John W
Took the day off today.
Thursday, September 19, 2019, 11:13

After looking at the weather it appears that today is going to be a chilly fall like day before a warm up into the 80's for Saturday, Sunday and then Monday. Deer up here don't move too much when it is warm.

The plan was to hunt the AM and then take mom out for some errands. Unfortunately she had some home visits so I could not take her out . So the plan is to do some bowhunting on some Connecticut state land for the afternoon until sundown.

This AM I drove to my spot on private land where I have a trail camera and tree stand. I arrived in the dark and walked through woodlands with my headlamp on. Arrived at the stand and proceeded to set up to await the dawn.

One of the things I discovered is that since my bout with severe vertigo more than a year ago I do have some trouble hunting out of a treestand. Climbing up a stick ladder and sitting in the stand when it is dark can be a bit of a trigger for it. That is a real challenge. When the sun comes up and your surroundings are more discernable, it is much better.

I sat in my perch and then figured I'll quit, get a coffee and head home to take Mom out. As I lowered my crossbow and then descended my perch I saw a deer about 60 yards to the north of me. She crossed the main trail I cut going to the top of the hill and then went to the posted land .

Had I waited a few more minutes I might have spotted her and maybe she would have ambled down my way for a shot.

Hopefully this late afternoon I'll get lucky and the crossbow will loose a bolt in the right direction.