Larry Fry
Scotty, not sure if you are talking
Sunday, September 15, 2019, 09:45

defensive loads against humans or animal critters. If humans, I once asked Masad Ayoob about the subject and he told me to always carry what ever the police carried in your state. He described a lot of horror stories where he testified as an expert witness where the DA would make out the defender to be a cold blood killer because he hand loaded special killing bullets and the juries bought it. In all cases where the defender used the same bullets the police used they were acquitted of murder. Some still faced manslaughter charges but most of those ended up being dropped. I took that to heart and have carried what the police carry ever since. Currently it is 135 grain Hornady Law Enforcement rounds in a Glock 19. AS for animal critters, unless your game laws are peculiar, you are pretty much on your own. I have used both solids and expanding bullets on varying game. On really big game I like a bonded expanding bullet like the Hornady DGX or equivalent (elk or bear). For deer, if you are close enough a 158 grain .38 in the right spot will kill them. I have used an arrow that weighted in total around 350 grains (head, shaft and fletching)at 290 fps and had the arrow go right though and the dropped within 50 feet. Point being in my opinion as JT and others have said, it is all about shot placement....YOU even told me that once when we were trying to figure out that .243 you helped me sight in.