Gary Reeder
I have more 22 rifles than a sane man should
Tuesday, June 25, 2019, 11:24

So here are some of them..I grew up with the J.C. Higgins (Sears) rifles. First the model 29, then the model 31. A few years back I decided to go back in time and pick up the guns I grew up with so I found the model 29, 30 and 31, all made by High Standard for Sears. Like Blake said on here they are man size rifles, not the little rifles for kids.
[image]
[image]
The model 31, 30 and 29, top to bottom.
[image]

Another favorite a few years later was the Marlin 99M1, the size of the old M1 Carbine but extremely accurate. at the time I was working for a radio station in Nashville and writing a weekly column in a Nashville newspaper on guns and hunting called Southern Sportsman. There were a lot of special high velocity 22 LR coming out so I decided to do a test on them for the column. I had the Marlin 99M1, a Remington 541, the J.C. Higgins Model 29, a Remington model 581 and borrowed a Winchester Model 52 field model. I ran several brands of hyper velocity ammo thru them like the CCI Stinger, Winchester Expediter, Remington Yellow Jacket and one or two others that I can't think of now. At the end of the trial the little Marlin 99M1 beat them all. If you can find one today they usually run $350 or better in good shape.
I bought 2 or 3 of them for some silly ass reason.
[image]

[image]

A CZ 452 in 22 LR
[image]

A CZ 455 in 22 Magnum
[image]

A CZ 512 in 22 Mag
[image]

A Ruger 77-22 in 22 LR
[image]

A Ruger 77-22 in 22 Magnum
[image]

A Marlin Texan in 22 LR
[image]

A Remington 541-T in 22 LR
[image]

A Ruger 10-22 stainless
[image]

Winchester 9422M in 22 Magnum
[image]

and there are a couple more around somewhere. I tend to stash things around and forget where I put them.