WB
This one is for Daddy...
Tuesday, June 18, 2019, 18:56

My big bore, big case GNR's. The .416 was homage to Dr. Firman's adventure for Elephants. I wanted to mimic my version of his rig. I like it, I'm ready for anything big. The .440 is likely my favorite due to the caliber and North American worthy assortment of wonderful, fun, .44 pistol bullets. World class slugs are only a bit of trouble more. I bought the .476 GNR from Puffy and it is special, I only intended to use it with Trail boss and light .475 Linebaugh pistol cast bullets. For that it is a sheer easy shooting delight.

Gary used the .450 GNR extensively in Africa and I wanted one to mimic his hunting rig. I jumped at the chance. I set it up like I wanted it. She is sweet.

[image]

My loadings were a little unique. I loaded the exact same charge as a 400 gr. paper patch loading in the .440 GNR. (it's safe and moderate; 57.0 gr. 4895 and magnum rifle primers, 405 gr. Rem. JSP, seated long) The .450 GNR using a .458" 405 gr. JSP clocked right at 200 fps less than the paper jacket load in the .430 bore. That is interesting, that's a 12% reduction in speed reflecting less pressure, since it's spread over a 12% increased bore area. I'm not saying anything other than that's the numbers.

The near one ounce soft points ran right at 1500 fps, recoil is pretty snappy but not abusive, about like a .44 Magnum revolver only straight back. The combo sounds like a light load but it's plenty for about anything you'd find locally. It's over a ton of muzzle energy and a TKO of 40, that's the same Taylor number as a 300 gr. .375 H&H loading!

[image]

The bullets expanded about 75-80% of their full length in dry sand. They held together very well and did not break off jacket petals. I could not bend those fragments with my bare fingers. Pretty good performance in my book. Also my "adjustable" S.O.S. (sight over scope) Millett sights are sighted in fine and the full equal of a good revolver sight picture. Good to have a back up plan. Just wanted to share.

[image]