WB
The beauty of those old Outlaw's design is
Thursday, May 16, 2019, 10:58

that it's a basically standard .45 Colt cylinder and chassis with a .475 cal. barrel screwed on. It's a lot less invasive than a 5-shot conversion and custom cylinder. Plus that chassis could not easily handle the stress of all that much more power, IMO. (I delight at the FL shotshell snake load possibilities)

A little bird also told me that shooting regular .45 Colts with the .452" pills rattling down the .475 bore, it actually groups respectably at shorter ranges. I shot some .44-40 in my .45 Colt Vaquero by accident, 4-5" groups at 25 yds.! They were notably quieter.

If you like to play with something different and like to tinker, it makes perfect sense and is brilliant in my view. I read someplace that some guys read about the .480 Achilles and took it a step further using .475 LB /.480 Ruger brass and upping it to .50 cal. heel type bullet. I don't see the gain compared to the .480 Achilles but whatever floats your boat.

I'd love to see a .480 Achilles done with a 2" barrel, birdshead grip, and no ejector - storekeeper's model style. Maybe I just need to pony up!