WB
I agree. I have used those marketed by Uncle Mike's
Friday, December 07, 2018, 08:59

too and i'm not certain that Pachmayr or the company that makes Pachmayr's pads does not also make them. They sure seem the same in materials and make up.

I've installed a few pads and it takes skill to get the fit to look good and keep the angles right. You make one heck of a mess. Sometimes you have to fill in old screw holes and make new ones (hardwood dowels and epoxy). The gunsmith sure earns his money. Pads also have gotten very expensive, some $50 for the pad alone. Then add an hour or two for professional labor to get it done right. Pads come in small, medium, and large (consider this in the grind to fit). Also white line spacer or no, flat or curved (trap style), vented or internal venting. There is either plastic or aluminum in there too your grind can get into if you choose the wrong size. Cut the stock to new length of pull or pad keeps original fit? It takes some knowledge and skill, lots more going on than meets the eye, that's what you pay for.

Some of the new fangled pads are almost like bubble gum. I'd shudder at the thought of trying to install one. I don't have a clue how they do it, put it in the freezer? It is always advisable on a gun with a soft pad to place it muzzle down in the gun safe. I've gotten a good deal on many old guns that the pads were deformed from sitting in the safe on a soft pad. Doing it myself I got a bargain. Heavier guns are worse, like 10 ga. doubles and big rifles. The Pachmayr pads are tops and have either exposed ribbing or internal shock absorbing ribs and the material always grinds well for me. Makes me look good.