Gary Reeder
the latest from Charlie on his daughter Allison and
Wednesday, September 19, 2018, 10:38

her fight with cancer..
Folks, it's getting really hard to know "where" to begin.. i cannot call Allison's cancer experience a "journey" anymore, as she aptly put it the other day , it is a " S - - T SHOW"... i think you all know that a drain was inserted over 10 days ago to help eliminate the infection from the abscess after the last BIG surgery.., they first tried 2 potent antibiotics that did NOTHING, then since the Hillcrest , San Diego, location had the earliest "opening" she went there for the insertion of a tube ( about 1/2 inch in diameter) to drain the infection... it was a horrendous experience, she was not given enough pain meds and she was in serious pain.. i would suggest that none of you EVER go to the UCSD Hillcrest location FOR any medical care, IT IS NOT the level of care found at the Jacob Center UCSD in La Jolla, anyway, the Dr. who inserted the drain did not give her enough pain meds and it was truly excruciating.. then she was sent home with no supplies for flushing the drain and a "promise" of calling her the next day to see how she was doing...NONE of which EVER happened... so, fast forward ( there's MUCH more but i will spare you the details) to yesterday , Monday, she went up to UCSD in LaJolla and had appts with her surgeon and her medical oncologist.. she told them in VERY straight language, what had happened at Hillcrest and the lack of follow through. They were appalled and said she is not to go their again for any tests or procedures of ANY kind...anyway, fast forward again, she had blood work and her white cell count was 8.9 so the drain, while being incredibly painful and uncomfortable, had done it's job.they , then, gave her the supplies she SHOULD have gotten when she left the Hillcrest facility, to flush the drain, the nurses showed her HOW to do it,, Ladies and gentlemen, i doubt any of us could do this, she has to reach backwards to her left fanny cheek and open the drain, swab it will alcohol and insert a syringe of saline.and then re-connect the drain, all done by "feel" as she cannot "see" the opening of the drain, the Dr. positioned it terribly....so, i fly over tomorrow a.m. (Wed.) and on Thursday she will have a sigmoidoscopy, then an appt with her medical oncologist on Monday and surgery, yes, surgery AGAIN, on Tuesday or Wednesday to remove whatever is remaining of the abscess and ANYTHING else that looks bad... THEN, HOPEFULLY , the healing from her last BIG surgery can begin... this may push off her next surgery to early January, we have no idea... as i've said before, our ONLY constant is "CHANGE"... we live with her day by day schedule of events... please keep her at the TOP of your prayer lists, you can Google gofundmeallisonherf and read her 6 updates and see photos, hopefully she will be able to add update # 7 soon.. Notes of encouragement to Allison Herf 3429 Ray San Diego CA 92104 will be appreciated.THANK YOU so VERY MUCH for the support, encouragement, prayers, donations, and your constant uplifting GOOD friendship !!!

Charlie