WB
Closet rust.
Monday, September 17, 2018, 13:33

I was wondering... I have two guns in particular that were basically "mint" condition except for some very heavy, very old, and now de-activated or for the moment stopped rust. One is a Winchester M62A pump .22 that almost looked unfired except for the entire underside being "shallow pitted" with formerly rust. Ditto my lately purchased Colt Pocket Positive that's 85 yrs. old. Really crisp and clean blue but sad, sad, sections of that old rust patches.

[image]

I figure these must have been relatively unused and put away in a closet or drawer in some mutton lined case or leather carrier and the natural environmental changes created a moist enough situation to rust them. Likely unseen for years. The only silver lining is I was able to get them at a very favorable discount because of the loss of collectors traits. They still remain fine shooters. It just makes you want to cry. Bonus some Bozo busted the Colt grips, stereotypical, probably taking them off to clean the rust off a few decades ago.

Do you concur or have any ideas how this happens? All those fine guns hid out in FL by all those rich old men. LOL