WB
That is some protective coating they use
Thursday, June 14, 2018, 06:53

it is to prevent surface oxidation on the aluminum. S&W's Scadinum is simply aluminum with that Sc additive in it. The purpose is to make it much, much stronger than conventional alloys. It does for sure but it can still blow up like any gun if grossly abused. You will also notice a little stainless steel tab atop the forcing cone to protect from flame cutting the top strap. I'm certain with guns like Jim's .357 that really helps!

I have a SJ360 in .38 Special rather than the .357. I too see the protective finish getting thin with carry. They have a different type of patina. This lowers the used values but in no way hurts the serviceability. Probably the best "finish" to apply if you don't like the looks would be some of the late powder coat or dip painting they now do. It probably wouldn't hurt anything. I personally would hesitate to remove the factory coating though via bead blasting w/o some research on the matter. It might begin to chalk up with some type of corrosion. S&W does have "silver" or so called stainless versions, I figure these have some other type of coating.

Mine has been modified with a Tru-glo front sight and fancy (but painful) Alamont's stocks. I wanted one to look like the .22 WMR version PD351. I wish I had the .22 WMR version and may one day trade up, they are just silly expensive.

[image]