backroadsrambler
(37) documented incidents
Friday, April 20, 2018, 20:57

https://bit.ly/2HPUN9H
From personal experience: they are much, much faster than you'd ever believe until it happens to you. IE, practice, practice, practice drawing & firing. And practice from your back as you may get knocked completely off your feet. From time in Alaska, spoke to many, all said same thing -- penetration is key and *always* have it with you, ALWAYS! Their chest has a thick gristle layer that will stop many handgun rounds including standard .44 Magnum JHP loads most of us have hunted with. I'd suggest a potent, heavy for caliber cast load ('Punch' & 'Hawk' loads are good too). I & others have used these proven loads in the field: garrettcartridges.com/44mag.html & grizzlycartridge.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=44mag. Others have used BuffaloBore's to good effect, I just don't have experience with them & and don't personally know anyone who has. If you start being in bear country regular, get a .500 Linebaugh. Truly carryable, operate at a 'pleasant' 30,000 psi v. the nasties at 50,000+ & are conducive to the real practice necessary (mid-range 950fps 410-440 grain load is fully sufficient)...