WB
Gary uses .308" rifle blanks for the full custom package
Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 08:24

so they are .308-.309" bullets typically and sport a much faster twist than the factory Ruger .30 Carbine tube (according to Layne Simpson 16 1/2 inches per full turn). I figure Gary uses 12:1 if he even knows himself. However, with the style of custom barrel throating used on these special guns (Maxi-throating) you can easily shoot .312" bullets to excellent effect. I've not checked the chamber throats as of yet (I will with pin gauges) but as long as they are "big enough" I don't worry much. IF the bullet escapes the throats at .311,.312, whatever it gets funneled through an exaggerated "forcing cone" that aligns the bullet before it actually engages the rifling and starts building pressure. This would have an effect of sizing it down some anyway. When it actually hits the .308 bore it will go down just fine. Obviously one needs to pay attention to see any undue pressure signs, but you do that anyway.

It's exactly like the Weatherby rifle chambers. The bullet moves forward increasing compression volume and lowers pressure. In effect making the cartridge longer from a pressure perspective. I have noted some revolvers have NO forcing cone or throating at all. My FA94 in .224-.32FA did not. But that's what makes it fun.

Not to tell you how to build a watch but both the .30 Carbine Ruger and Custom Reeder .300/.327 barrels are .308 bores. Ditto any TC or Dan Wesson ".32" you will encounter.

[image]