Howard
Alaska summer jobs
Tuesday, February 20, 2018, 18:54

I must have signed up for AK job offers on LinkedIn.
Check this out:
https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/587157482/
Job description
Official Title: Field Technician
Number of Positions Available: 2
Working Title: Arctic Alaska Eider Nesting Study
Level: Full-Time, Temporary
Department and Program: Beringia Program
Office/Project
Position Location: Kasegaluk, AK
Date Written/Revised: 1/9/2018
Reports To: Rebecca Bentzen, Avian Research Coordinator
Supervises (Direct supervision only): 1-2 technicians
Position Objectives: The study is a continuation of a breeding biology study of Common Eiders breeding on the barrier islands of Kasegaluk Lagoon, AK. The primary goals are to assess nest density, nest survival, and predator numbers on barrier islands. The crew (crew leader and one technician) will live tents on the barrier islands for the duration of the field season and supervise a youth field technician (age 18-24). Field conditions will wet, cold, windy, and possibly buggy later in the season. The field season is approximately June 7 to 20 July 2018.
Principle Responsibilities: Technicians will conduct an eider nesting study from approximately June 7 to July 20, 2018. Duties will include nest searches on the islands, recording habitat information, assigning nest site vegetation and woody debris classifications for each nest found, determining nest fate, and data entry. Time-lapse nest cameras will be placed at a subsample of nests to determine nest predators, flooding events, and disturbance. A subset of eiders will be trapped on the nest and blood samples will be taken. Additionally the field crew will facilitate and work with several youth videographers and their supervisor who will visit the field site for a week in July. The field leader will be responsible for coordinating daily activities, updating the PIs regularly, and preparing a short report on the season’s activities.
Kasegaluk is way up on the North coast, SW of Barrow.
When I was a kid I heard about summer camp counselor jobs on Kenai. They required first aid and life-saving training. I had the first aid but I looked for life-saving at every Red Cross and YMCA in a 50 mile radius and no one was offering it. I think if I'd gone up there then I wouldn't have come back. If you know of an adventurous young person, point this kind of thing out to them, might change their life. I think it's still the land of the free up there.