Gary Reeder
yes but would watch for pressure signs and would
Monday, February 19, 2018, 17:04

ease up to these loads a grain or two at a time. Also the 500 grain solid might be too long for the 1895 action. I recommend the 350 grain Hornady soft point bullet as it has done very well for me. I used the 350 grain loads in a Ruger #1 up on the Arctic circle for caribou and shot completely thru both animals.
[image]

I also shot an Australian water buff with almost the same load with the 350 grain bullets. They were about 2 grains less and in a Contender. The bullet hit him in the left shoulder, broke it and embedded in his off shoulder.

[image]

The 350 grain loads are right at max and not too bad but again I do recommend easing up to these loads a grain or so at a time. I also shot a bison in Utah's Henry mountains with this load in a Contender, again breaking the left shoulder and ending up in the off side. I had to wait until he got past the herd of cattle that he was hiding in before taking the shot.
[image]
[image]

These critters were each taken with the Hornady 350 grain soft point which did perfectly. The loads I am trying now are the 500 grain solids and in an Encore they are rough. I don't recommend them in a Contender. Also remember all the Contenders used were standard barrels, no porting and no muzzle brakes.