Gary Reeder
I have to disagree with WB on this. I have danced with 2
Saturday, February 17, 2018, 11:18

bears, one in Washington State on the Canada border and the other in Alaska, both were within kissing distance. The first one was with a hot loaded 44 mag and it took all 6 rounds plus one from my 41 GNR#2 to put him down. The first 3 were with him coming at me and all 3 were upper chest shots and that didn't even slow him down. The last 3 shots were with him sitting on my chest and the gun in his arm pit. The guide put the last shot in him with my 41 GNR#2 from about 2 inches. The bear had his ass on my chest and the biting end on the guide. He was literally nose to nose on the guide when the guide pulled the trigger on the Contender in 41#2..We have video of most of it too which made it even better.
[image]

The second and most recent dance I had was with a big bear who came at me from about 20 yards. I hit him once at about 2 feet with the 510 GNR. He rolled at my feet biting at where the 510 hit him. He turned to run and I hit him again the second time again at point blank range. He ran off into the brush and I had to go in after him. If I had had a 44 mag I wouldn't have stopped that bear whereas the 510 loaded hot did. The 510 blew right thru him on both shots so he had 4 holes in him, 50 caliber size, and he still ran off.So forget a 44 mag for Alaska. If a bear comes at you he is pissed and you have to break him down to stop him and in my meager experience the 44 won't do it. I recommend 475 or bigger.
This is the 510 GNR covered in the bears blood. He was that close. The holes in the cylinder were clotted with blood as was the front of the scope. I foolishly had a scoped revolver thinking I would get longer shots.
[image]