WB
Lots of .44's lots of .454's in AK
Saturday, February 17, 2018, 08:01

In truth it does not really matter, it's just for piece of mind. If you have to defend yourself with only a handgun you are in deep do-do. The main objective is to penetrate deep and straight through anything. I think this begins at 1/2 oz. bullet and as close to 1/2" as reasonable. Bullet speed has to be well over 1000 fps, I'd figure, for sure penetration. Gary's .510 is about as much as I can handle. The .500 LB is a bit more than I can manage, I usually load the .510 GNR down just a bit 1100 fps for the 350-400 is good. The 300 gr. going 1400 is not too bad. I like the .475 LB and .480, great powerful rounds.

I have not been there lately but I bet the .460 S&W is popular now. It makes lots of practical sense as to ammo availability. In AK that is important where going to the store may be a 8 hr. round trip. Going to a guy you know local to barter or borrow something is a real consideration.

For durability and carrying I personally prefer a SA. But the DA on a Ruger chassis is great too. I like the feel of S&W but think the Ruger is stronger. In a pinch a Taurus is not too bad either for the money, a little big.

No matter, run what you brung.