John W
Yesterday
Tuesday, January 16, 2018, 18:40

Since it was a national holiday I had the day off. Kind of nice when you work with troubled youth of sorts.

After a morning of visiting with Mom and making her a cheese omelet for a hot breakfast I texted a good friend to see if he wanted to go do some predator hunting. He said yeah, why not.

I stopped at his house and picked him up. He brought a nice Savage 22 WRM bolt action rifle and I took my TC Contender with the 10 inch 22 K Hornet that Gary rechambered. I made some loads with a max charge of Lil Gun under a Nosler 4 grain ballistic tip. It should do a number on a coyote.

I drove in my Cherokee to a piece of land that I have taken both deer and coyote off of. We walked down the dirt road to the flat hill top where I have a stand and set up the Mojo decoy and my FoxPro Spitfire E caller.

We sat a good fifty yards away and commenced to running a staccato of wounded animal sounds. It worked but not for a legal species. A big fat owl landed nearby. I looked at the majestic beast and commented to my friend as to what owl tastes like? Needless to say some movement spooked it and it flew off.

We sat for a good 45 minutes as in the brushy east things take longer for game to show up.

The nest step was to go to the end of the road and do another set up. Again, forty five minutes of sitting at 5 F with a windchill of probably - 5 F was enough.

We walked back and then down the club road for about two miles or so and set up again on my swampy brook ground blind. I have a set up on three trees that grew in a clump and toppled over across a swampy brook near a large beaver pond. Deer and the occasional black bear cross as well as the dreaded eastern coyote.

As we set up I heard a howl. COTOTE!

Ok. What to do? Hmm. It is January and the mating season so maybe Wiley is looking for love.

I set the caller on the Coyote Fem Whispers. It is a sound that is hard to describe but I guess in coyote talk it is akin to I have what you need. Anyways. We played that for a solid half hour or more but to no avail.

Needless to say, Mr. Coyote wasn't looking for love.

We packed up and headed home. Although it wasn't a game filled success it was nice to go with a friend.

Maybe next weekend success will be attained.