Gary Reeder
that is an excellent book, although George Nonte
Tuesday, October 17, 2017, 13:55

tended to get a bit more into stuff handgun hunters really didn't need to know. All in all it is a good book to have in your collection. The Al Goerg book is also quite dated but is serious handgun hunting without any gimmicks or superfluous crap that you don't need to know. He made do with what was available back in the early 60s. He took just about everything there was to take back then in the U.S. with his open sighted and scoped S&W Model 29s in 44 Magnum. He did what gun writers just wrote about back then.

When he camped out he had a simple tarp and a sleeping bag along with a coffee pot and a camp hatchet
[image]
[image]
[image]

He never wore camo nor did he need it. He didn't have to wear expensive Cabelas camo clothes in the pattern of the year.
[image]
[image]

He took Brown Bear and similar critters with a standard 44 Magnum and Caribou with the 256 Winchester in the Ruger Hawkeye pistol. He took various Black Bear with his 44 Magnum and with the 22 K-Hornet. And he did this because there were no "experts" around then to tell him it was impossible to do so.
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

Goerg did it the way we all should be doing it. We have been spoiled by all the gimmicks and special camo and long range "sniper" type handguns with 4 or 5 times the power of Goerg's old 44 Magnum. And I am just as bad as anyone else. But it would be nice to have someone drop me and some friends off at some remote camp set up like Goerg's camp and with guns like what he used and see how well we could adapt.