WB
FWIW I once mixed an Encore with a Contender loading...
Monday, September 18, 2017, 13:42

that I had not worked up for that platform. Got them in one bag. Touching off the Contender .338 GNR (I happened to be video taping at the time) the action recoiled open so fast, the bullet was long gone, that the empty brass smacked me in the teeth. Luckily my thin lips slowed it down before hitting my two buck tooth caps! A little blood and I didn't know what happened. The gun looked normal, I thought I shot myself! The gun was locked shut but when I opened it no fired brass. I didn't see the brass anywhere around, never found it. Looking at the video one frame at a time the blurred single frame shows the barrel and grip angle not synchronized, then normal in the next frame. The fast recoil unlatched the locking lugs, and open flew the action, self-ejecting, and then recoil slapped it back shut.

Sort of an avoidable rite of passage to overly hot loading a TC. Sometimes weak locking bolt springs can contribute to this with heavy hitters too. Not a bad thing to replace every couple hundred hot rounds anyway. Had that happen several times on Heavy Encores (weak spring) but not on Contenders. But then I was never trying as hard with them! lol.

A rumor has it that Gary has a "GNR" imprint on his forehead, very small, in a little bitty semi-circle....LOL