WB
I used one to take my Blackbuck at the Y-O
Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 09:29

I had two guns that year with me. A 6.5-284 Encore handgun and a similar set up .338 GNR with 200 gr. Hornady's at 2600 fps. With $2500 on the line for even a wounded critter, the .338 won out. Recoil is surprisingly mild but with my full case full of BLC2 it made a fireball the size of a washing machine, in broad daylight! I admit I could have used something like 3031, 4064, 4895 and forgone the bright fireball but I did it for dramatic effect. You know the Misfit reputation abroad. Those guides gossip like a bunch of widow wimmen. "Farr shot out 20 foot!, Poleaxed!" It is good fun.

Seriously the trajectory and long range energy retention is top notch. I did find the .338 bullets to be very tough and they need a more substantial critter than a 80 lb. Blackbuck to expand upon. Elk would be perfect.

There is a running debate between a few of us between the 8mm GNR and .338 GNR, which is superior. The mutual answer is both. Anything 8mm is exotic and the 180-225 gr. bullets are perfect. The .338 really starts at 200 (although Barnes makes a super lightweight for extra speed) and runs upward toward specalty 300 gr. If any have an edge it's the heavy big game bullets of the .338 vs. the light speedy 150 gr. and less in 8mm available. With both shooting 200 gr. bullets in the hunting field they are equal.

I sold out for the .378 GNR after a big game experience, psychological mind you, and contend with 200-235 gr. lighter bullets for my speedy rounds. Usually the 260 Accu-bond just does everything.

The bigger .405 based rounds require only a pass of a .405 case through the FL sizer to manufacture. I made .338 both ways, single pass and .375 intermediate. On the 8mm an intermediate pass may be actually needed, but maybe not.

Bottom line is its FUN and low calorie. What else are you going to piss your money away on? It sill has value and will never be worth zero!