WB
*Always note the possibility of discharge disingaging safey
Tuesday, February 21, 2017, 15:45

Actually you SHOULD on any firearm. I've seen it myself. A friend shot a hole in the side of his F100 with a 700 in .243 by taking it off safety to unload. Fingers were no where close to trigger.

The assy. can get gummy with too much oil or dirt. You press the trigger then later when the safety is disengaged it goes "click"! I had an XP100 that needed de-gumming badly that did that. A good cleaning and minimal lube it was fine. But I ALWAYS considered the possibility that it COULD fire taking the safety off. How folks could point the gun at kids and such while removing the safety is crazy to me but it has happened. My buddy missed the other guy's leg, standing on the other side of the truck, by about 2 feet. Some very serious discussions followed for sure!

Word is that Remington knew about it but covered it up. A design engineer blew the whistle before he passed a few years back. We'll never know the real skinny. You can find his interview on Youtube.

Honestly a Timney aftermarket unit will allow the bolt to be opened and gun unloaded with the safety still engaged holding the sear. If it really bother's you. That's the right way to do it. I'd sure investigate Remington's "Fix" before I sent in my fine old hunting rifle. They might "fix" it with a 10 lb. trigger!